Top Reasons Why Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki Called Off Engagement
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 27, 2014 2:02 PM EST
The save-the-dates have already been sent out, but Rory McIlroy realised that his engagement with tennis athlete Caroline Wozniacki was a huge mistake. What really made the Northern Irish professional golfer call off his engagement with Wozniacki?
Wozniacki is a 'Bridezilla'
Belfast Telegraph's Sara Girvin wrote that Wozniacki has turned into a "bridezilla." One of McIlroy's close friends revealed that the golfer was pretty "freaked out" because Wozniacki wanted to get married quickly. The source revealed that McIlroy and Wozniacki's relationship hasn't been running smoothly for almost a year now, which is why everyone was reportedly shocked to find out that the golfer had proposed to his athlete girlfriend. McIlroy only proposed to Wozniacki because he thought it would give him more time before the two of them walk down the aisle. However, Wozniacki reportedly even became more obsessed with the wedding. "He found himself in the middle of something he couldn't handle, a wedding planned less than a year after they got engaged, and when the invites went out, that was the last straw, he freaked out," revealed the source.
"It's Not You, It's Me," Says McIlroy
"The problem is mine," McIlroy said in a 40-word statement he released through his agents on May 21 as stated in a news article by the Belfast Telegraph. "The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realize I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails. I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had."
McIlroy also addressed his breakup with Wozniacki during a press conference before he teed off in Wentworth for the BMW PGA Championship. "It was mutual and amicable and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us, time to move on and I think I've said all that I need to say."
Wozniacki is Bad Luck for McIlroy's Career
McIlroy's poor golf performance during the time that he was with Wozniacki wasn't really outstanding and some believed that it could've led to the former engaged couple's sudden split. "Rory's game hasn't been as consistently good in the time he's been with Caroline, another source told Page Six as reported by Hollywood Take. The source alleged that Wozniacki was a "distraction" for McIlroy. "He was a young guy in love and was flying around the world to see her play in tournaments or meet up with her."
Is Wozniacki really a jinx on McIlroy's career? A few days after their breakup, McIlroy won the BMW PGA Championship.
McIlroy and Wozniacki dated for more than two years. They met in 2011 and got engaged in December 2013. McIlroy and Wozniacki's relationship wasn't all roses and flowers. They were once rumoured to have broken up in August 2013, but McIlroy was quick to dismiss the gossip. Unfortunately for Wozzilroy fans, this time around, McIroy and Wozniacki have broken up for good. Only time will tell if they will ever get back in each other's arms.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin on Kobe Bryant’s Text: He’s 100 Percent Accurate
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Eugenie Bouchard To Conquer Next Era After Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide