The PS4 Ultimate Accessory: See Project Morpheus Up Close
By Gel Galang | May 27, 2014 1:52 PM EST
Sony seems to be readying itself for far bigger services that will put the PS4 at the forefront of next-gen consoles. This was announced at a corporate strategy meeting, where CEO Kaz Hirai revealed the company is looking into expanding the services of the PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now in the hopes of making the PS4 the next—if not better than—PS2 in terms of profitability and as a PlayStation console.
Apart from graphic differences it has continually had with top rival Xbox One, this was also done in the form of the much-awaited Project Morpheus. This virtual reality headset, which was first just likened to the Oculus Rift, the primary prototype when it comes to 3-D technology in gaming, has now come a long way.
And Eurogamer was able to go on a hands-on run with the Project Morpheus prototype and had only great things to say about it. According to the report, Sony stays ahead of Oculus' own prototype, except for the display. But already, it's a key piece of device that's worth the experience.
The Good and the Better
One of the major highlights of the device is image quality and premium resolution of the Project Morpheus experience. The report states the fisheye lens has been placed effectively to ensure image integrity above all else. Tracking movement with the Project Morpheus using the PlayStation Camera is also a good experience, mostly because even when users turn away from the latter, accurate tracking is still possible.
The issue of nausea has also been avoided without having to take away from the experience. And users don't have to worry about hardware problems—Eurogamer emphasises that because the team behind Project Morpheus is made by an international team, "multi-racial physical characteristics" were considered for a common fit.
In any case, the Project Morpheus is still a continually evolving project. At the GDC 2014, the project was discussed alongside Sony Worldwide boss Shuhei Yoshida. And there are already games that are supported by Project Morpheus when it debuts on the PS4. One of them, according to Polygon, is "Among the Sleep," where gamers will play the role of a 2-year-old having a nightmare for a gameplay.
Officially, there has been no release date set yet for the device, though there are already plans on what developers can create in making use of of the technology.
"At SCE, we view innovation as an opportunity to build on our mission to push the boundaries of play," said Yoshida via the Sony official Web site. "Project Morpheus is the latest example of innovation from SCE, and we're looking forward to its continued development and the games that will be created as development kits get into the hands of content creators," he added.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone