Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 5/27/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | May 27, 2014 1:17 PM EST
The Australian share market is only slightly firmer at lunchtime in the East, after US and UK markets were closed overnight for public holidays.
Banking and mining players are mixed while a 0.6 per cent fall from Telstra (TLS) means the telco sector is the worst performing at lunchtime in the East.
In company news, insurer Suncorp Group (SUN) has flagged$500 million worth of write-downs in its life insurance business. CEO Patrick Snowball has claimed the impairments reflect challenges within the industry and deteriorating conditions. The write-down will affect SUN's full year financial result and has sent SUN's shares down 2.3 per cent to $13.385.
Foreign exchange service provider OzForex Group (OFX) shares have fallen sharply in early trade. The company posted a 6.8 per cent fall in full year net profit to $16 million. The result was impacted by costs associated with its recent listing on the market and an attempted takeover of UK based HiFx. OXF shareholders will receive a final dividend of 2.375 cents per share. OFX shares are down 13 per cent to $2.85.
Heading the other way is shares in analytical testing services group ALS (ALQ). Shareholders have shrugged off a drop in annual profit and dividend payouts, sending ALQ shares up 8.3 per cent to $7.92.
So far on the market, 792 million shares have changed hands, with an estimated value of $1.4 billion. 392 are up, 359 are down and 377 are unchanged.
Asian markets are mixed in the early sessions.
The Italian sharemarket outperformed other European bourses on Monday, gaining 3.6%, after a solid performance by Prime Minister Matteo Renzi´s centre-left Democratic Party in European elections.
The Australian dollar is a touch stronger at lunchtime in the East, worth US92.57c.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Another Close Call For Malaysian Airlines As Auto Pilot Defect Hits MH198 From Hyderabad
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 15, 2014
- Iron Age For Australia Ends As Price Of Key Steelmaking Ingredient Dips Below $83/Tonne
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 15, 2014
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date