‘Divergent’ Sequel: Everything to Know About ‘Insurgent'
By Riza Ornos | May 27, 2014 12:10 PM EST
A film adaptation of Veronica Roth's novel of the same name, "Insurgent" is the much-anticipated sequel of blockbuster hit "Divergent" that stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. Directed by Robert Schwentke ("The Time Traveler's Wife"), the movie is scheduled to be released on March 20, 2015.
Actress Shailene Woodley poses for photographers as she arrives for the European premiere of "Divergent" at Leicester Square in London March 30, 2014.
After the massive success of "Divergent," an impressive $4.9 million on its opening Thursday night's screenings, "Insurgent" was given a green light on March 21 to start filming for the trilogy's second installment. Director Neil Burger won't return for the sequel due to "practical reasons" concerning filming schedules, the reason why Schwentke stepped in to take over the director's chair.
"We're off to a great start with strong numbers from all regions of the country, urban, suburban and rural alike," says Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer in a statement posted on Huffington Post. "We're confident that 'Divergent' is on its way to becoming another important franchise for us, and we have just greenlit the second film, 'Insurgent.'"
"The Fault In Our Stars" actress will reprise her role as Beatrice "Tris" Prior and lead star Theo James will reprise his role as Tobias "Four" Eaton. Cast who will return for the sequel includes Ansel Elgort as Tris' brother Caleb Prior, Maggie Q as Tori, Ray Stevenson as Marcus Eaton, Kate Winslet as Jeanine Matthews, Zoe Kravitz as Christina, Jai Courtney as Eric, Miles Teller as Peter and Ben Lamb as Edward.
Joining the ensemble cast is "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" star Stephanie Leigh Schlund as she announced her casting on Twitter Friday afternoon, May 23. Jumping from one dystopian movie to another, Schlund did not reveal her role for the upcoming movie but she did use a hashtag #Amity, which could only mean that her role is someone in that division.
"The Help" star Octavia Spencer is set to play Amity leader Johanna, in the book of Roth Johanna is the unofficial leader of Amity as the faction prides itself of making the decisions together. So technically the Oscar-winning actress will not play as leader but the faction's spokesperson.
"Insurgent" was penned by Brian Duffield and Akiva Goldsman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast