‘Divergent’ Sequel: Everything to Know About ‘Insurgent'
By Riza Ornos | May 27, 2014 12:10 PM EST
A film adaptation of Veronica Roth's novel of the same name, "Insurgent" is the much-anticipated sequel of blockbuster hit "Divergent" that stars Shailene Woodley and Theo James. Directed by Robert Schwentke ("The Time Traveler's Wife"), the movie is scheduled to be released on March 20, 2015.
Actress Shailene Woodley poses for photographers as she arrives for the European premiere of "Divergent" at Leicester Square in London March 30, 2014.
After the massive success of "Divergent," an impressive $4.9 million on its opening Thursday night's screenings, "Insurgent" was given a green light on March 21 to start filming for the trilogy's second installment. Director Neil Burger won't return for the sequel due to "practical reasons" concerning filming schedules, the reason why Schwentke stepped in to take over the director's chair.
"We're off to a great start with strong numbers from all regions of the country, urban, suburban and rural alike," says Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer in a statement posted on Huffington Post. "We're confident that 'Divergent' is on its way to becoming another important franchise for us, and we have just greenlit the second film, 'Insurgent.'"
"The Fault In Our Stars" actress will reprise her role as Beatrice "Tris" Prior and lead star Theo James will reprise his role as Tobias "Four" Eaton. Cast who will return for the sequel includes Ansel Elgort as Tris' brother Caleb Prior, Maggie Q as Tori, Ray Stevenson as Marcus Eaton, Kate Winslet as Jeanine Matthews, Zoe Kravitz as Christina, Jai Courtney as Eric, Miles Teller as Peter and Ben Lamb as Edward.
Joining the ensemble cast is "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" star Stephanie Leigh Schlund as she announced her casting on Twitter Friday afternoon, May 23. Jumping from one dystopian movie to another, Schlund did not reveal her role for the upcoming movie but she did use a hashtag #Amity, which could only mean that her role is someone in that division.
"The Help" star Octavia Spencer is set to play Amity leader Johanna, in the book of Roth Johanna is the unofficial leader of Amity as the faction prides itself of making the decisions together. So technically the Oscar-winning actress will not play as leader but the faction's spokesperson.
"Insurgent" was penned by Brian Duffield and Akiva Goldsman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal