X-Men: Days of Future Past': Rogue And Scarlet Witch Deleted Scene Explained
By Tanya Diente | May 27, 2014 12:05 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" is now in theatres and has hit domestic gross earnings of $91 million at the US box office so far. Internationally, it has taken $171.1 million over the Memorial Day weekend, according to Guardian.
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
When the cast of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" was announced, it was confirmed that original members would be returning. However, fans wondered how director Bryan Singer was going to fit all the characters into one film. The primary focus of the movie was on the First Class characters in the 1970s. So Singer and film editor John Ottman decided to refine the movie, and inevitably some scenes were deleted. These include Rogue's scene where she escapes from a prison camp and Scarlet Witch's cameo appearance.
Prior to the release of "X-Men: Days of Future Past," it has been revealed that Rogue, played by Anna Paquin, had been largely removed from the film. She was intended to have a big, set piece of action sequence where fans would finally get to see her in her full power, according to Comicbook. Rogue was initially involved in a ten-minute sub-plot early in the film, with Professor X and Magneto seen in the future rescuing her from a prison camp (photo). However, this scene in the film never made it to the big screen. Rogue's scene was well-publicized in "X-Men: Days of Future Past's" first movie trailer, and fans wondered why it was deleted. Movie writer Simon Kinberg told Collider that the plot diverted from the central pull of the film, and didn't serve the overall story. He explained that the reason he shot the Rogue sequence was to know how it would be like to see old Professor X (Patrick Stewart) and old Magneto (Ian McKellan) go on a trip together. Nevertheless, Kinberg said that fans would see Rogue's scene one day, hinting at the possibility of it being available on the Blu-ray release of the movie.
Scroll Down For Rogue's Scene At 1:38 Mark In First Trailer Of "X-Men: Days of Future Past"
Another scene that was inevitably deleted in the final screening of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" was an appearance by Quicksilver's twin sister Scarlet Witch. HNGN reported that Kinberg had toyed with the idea of bringing Scarlet Witch into the mix.
"Actually, there was a little scene that we shot that we ended up cutting out of the movie that alluded to her. It was sort of an interstitial scene that didn't push the movie forward and so it ended up being cut," Kinberg explained.
Lastly, fans became hopeful when Singer claimed that "Kitty Pryde fans will not be disappointed," since the character will have a "satisfying screen time." Contrary to Singer's assumption, fans were no doubt disappointed, according to Screenrant, when they saw that Kitty Pryde had fewer scenes. Her role was even reduced (contrary to her character in the comics) for the big screen adaptation of "X-Men: Days of Future Past." In the "Uncanny X-Men" comics series, where the original "X-Men: Days of Future Past" was published, Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat personally travels back in time and rallies the old X-Men to prevent the assasination of Sen.Robert Kelly. However, she didn't travel through time in the movie adaptation. Instead, her role was reduced to being the time-travelling agent who sends Wolverine back in time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies