X-Men: Days of Future Past': Rogue And Scarlet Witch Deleted Scene Explained
By Tanya Diente | May 27, 2014 12:05 PM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" is now in theatres and has hit domestic gross earnings of $91 million at the US box office so far. Internationally, it has taken $171.1 million over the Memorial Day weekend, according to Guardian.
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
When the cast of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" was announced, it was confirmed that original members would be returning. However, fans wondered how director Bryan Singer was going to fit all the characters into one film. The primary focus of the movie was on the First Class characters in the 1970s. So Singer and film editor John Ottman decided to refine the movie, and inevitably some scenes were deleted. These include Rogue's scene where she escapes from a prison camp and Scarlet Witch's cameo appearance.
Prior to the release of "X-Men: Days of Future Past," it has been revealed that Rogue, played by Anna Paquin, had been largely removed from the film. She was intended to have a big, set piece of action sequence where fans would finally get to see her in her full power, according to Comicbook. Rogue was initially involved in a ten-minute sub-plot early in the film, with Professor X and Magneto seen in the future rescuing her from a prison camp (photo). However, this scene in the film never made it to the big screen. Rogue's scene was well-publicized in "X-Men: Days of Future Past's" first movie trailer, and fans wondered why it was deleted. Movie writer Simon Kinberg told Collider that the plot diverted from the central pull of the film, and didn't serve the overall story. He explained that the reason he shot the Rogue sequence was to know how it would be like to see old Professor X (Patrick Stewart) and old Magneto (Ian McKellan) go on a trip together. Nevertheless, Kinberg said that fans would see Rogue's scene one day, hinting at the possibility of it being available on the Blu-ray release of the movie.
Scroll Down For Rogue's Scene At 1:38 Mark In First Trailer Of "X-Men: Days of Future Past"
Another scene that was inevitably deleted in the final screening of "X-Men: Days of Future Past" was an appearance by Quicksilver's twin sister Scarlet Witch. HNGN reported that Kinberg had toyed with the idea of bringing Scarlet Witch into the mix.
"Actually, there was a little scene that we shot that we ended up cutting out of the movie that alluded to her. It was sort of an interstitial scene that didn't push the movie forward and so it ended up being cut," Kinberg explained.
Lastly, fans became hopeful when Singer claimed that "Kitty Pryde fans will not be disappointed," since the character will have a "satisfying screen time." Contrary to Singer's assumption, fans were no doubt disappointed, according to Screenrant, when they saw that Kitty Pryde had fewer scenes. Her role was even reduced (contrary to her character in the comics) for the big screen adaptation of "X-Men: Days of Future Past." In the "Uncanny X-Men" comics series, where the original "X-Men: Days of Future Past" was published, Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat personally travels back in time and rallies the old X-Men to prevent the assasination of Sen.Robert Kelly. However, she didn't travel through time in the movie adaptation. Instead, her role was reduced to being the time-travelling agent who sends Wolverine back in time.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon