‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Box Office Report – Memorial Day Weekend Pushes Collection to $261 Million
By Sachin Trivedi | May 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" opened with a worldwide gross of over $261 million. The long Memorial Day weekend in the U.S. may have contributed to the grand opening success, the movie made over $90 million in the U.S. market.
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
According to a report by Box Office Mojo, the new movie made over $90 million in the U.S. market and over $171 million in the international market. The box office collection is one of the highest for the 'X-Men' movie franchise. The movie reportedly opened in 3996 theaters in the U.S. alone.
X-Men: Days of Future Past takes Wolverine back in time to the body of his younger self. The main theme of the movie is to stop the war with the Sentinel robots even before it begins and save not just mutants but also the rest of humanity.
Sentinels are robots created by a scientist called Dr. Bolivar Trask, played by "Game of Thrones" star Peter Dinklage. The robots were initially created to take on the powerful mutants, but they eventually turn on other non-mutant people as well, leading to a devastating war.
The movie brings together the cast of the original 'X-Men' movies and the cast of the "X-Men: First Class" movie. So, fans get to see the younger and older versions of characters like Charles Xavier and Magneto.
The movie added some new characters like Bishop, Quicksilver, Blink and Sunspot. The other familiar characters in the movie include Mystique, Storm, Rogue and Toad. The action and humour in the movies has made it a popular franchise among fans.
The cast of X-Men: Days of Future Past includes Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Nicholas Hoult, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Omar Sy, Evan Peters, Josh Helman, Daniel Cudmore, Bingbing Fan, Adan Canto, Booboo Stewart, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Lucas Till, Evan Jonigkeit and Mark Camacho.
X-Men Days of Future Past will have to face some highly anticipated movies next weekend at the box office. The movies releasing next weekend include "Maleficent," "The Grand Seduction" and "A Million Ways to Die in the West."
'Elder Scrolls Online' Gets First Update - Offline Maintenance to Hit American and European Servers [Read]
'Star Wars' 7 - The Plot Always Starts with Tatooine [Read]
'Tropico' 5 Review and Release Date for PC [Watch Trailer] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate