‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Box Office Report – Memorial Day Weekend Pushes Collection to $261 Million
By Sachin Trivedi | May 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" opened with a worldwide gross of over $261 million. The long Memorial Day weekend in the U.S. may have contributed to the grand opening success, the movie made over $90 million in the U.S. market.
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
According to a report by Box Office Mojo, the new movie made over $90 million in the U.S. market and over $171 million in the international market. The box office collection is one of the highest for the 'X-Men' movie franchise. The movie reportedly opened in 3996 theaters in the U.S. alone.
X-Men: Days of Future Past takes Wolverine back in time to the body of his younger self. The main theme of the movie is to stop the war with the Sentinel robots even before it begins and save not just mutants but also the rest of humanity.
Sentinels are robots created by a scientist called Dr. Bolivar Trask, played by "Game of Thrones" star Peter Dinklage. The robots were initially created to take on the powerful mutants, but they eventually turn on other non-mutant people as well, leading to a devastating war.
The movie brings together the cast of the original 'X-Men' movies and the cast of the "X-Men: First Class" movie. So, fans get to see the younger and older versions of characters like Charles Xavier and Magneto.
The movie added some new characters like Bishop, Quicksilver, Blink and Sunspot. The other familiar characters in the movie include Mystique, Storm, Rogue and Toad. The action and humour in the movies has made it a popular franchise among fans.
The cast of X-Men: Days of Future Past includes Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Nicholas Hoult, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Omar Sy, Evan Peters, Josh Helman, Daniel Cudmore, Bingbing Fan, Adan Canto, Booboo Stewart, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Lucas Till, Evan Jonigkeit and Mark Camacho.
X-Men Days of Future Past will have to face some highly anticipated movies next weekend at the box office. The movies releasing next weekend include "Maleficent," "The Grand Seduction" and "A Million Ways to Die in the West."
'Elder Scrolls Online' Gets First Update - Offline Maintenance to Hit American and European Servers [Read]
'Star Wars' 7 - The Plot Always Starts with Tatooine [Read]
'Tropico' 5 Review and Release Date for PC [Watch Trailer] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report