‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’ Box Office Report – Memorial Day Weekend Pushes Collection to $261 Million
By Sachin Trivedi | May 27, 2014 11:00 AM EST
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" opened with a worldwide gross of over $261 million. The long Memorial Day weekend in the U.S. may have contributed to the grand opening success, the movie made over $90 million in the U.S. market.
British actors Patrick Stewart (L-R), James McAvoy, Ian McKellen and Irish-German actor Michael Fassbender arrive for the British premiere of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at Leicester Square in London in this May 12, 2014, file photo.
According to a report by Box Office Mojo, the new movie made over $90 million in the U.S. market and over $171 million in the international market. The box office collection is one of the highest for the 'X-Men' movie franchise. The movie reportedly opened in 3996 theaters in the U.S. alone.
X-Men: Days of Future Past takes Wolverine back in time to the body of his younger self. The main theme of the movie is to stop the war with the Sentinel robots even before it begins and save not just mutants but also the rest of humanity.
Sentinels are robots created by a scientist called Dr. Bolivar Trask, played by "Game of Thrones" star Peter Dinklage. The robots were initially created to take on the powerful mutants, but they eventually turn on other non-mutant people as well, leading to a devastating war.
The movie brings together the cast of the original 'X-Men' movies and the cast of the "X-Men: First Class" movie. So, fans get to see the younger and older versions of characters like Charles Xavier and Magneto.
The movie added some new characters like Bishop, Quicksilver, Blink and Sunspot. The other familiar characters in the movie include Mystique, Storm, Rogue and Toad. The action and humour in the movies has made it a popular franchise among fans.
The cast of X-Men: Days of Future Past includes Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Nicholas Hoult, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Omar Sy, Evan Peters, Josh Helman, Daniel Cudmore, Bingbing Fan, Adan Canto, Booboo Stewart, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Lucas Till, Evan Jonigkeit and Mark Camacho.
X-Men Days of Future Past will have to face some highly anticipated movies next weekend at the box office. The movies releasing next weekend include "Maleficent," "The Grand Seduction" and "A Million Ways to Die in the West."
'Elder Scrolls Online' Gets First Update - Offline Maintenance to Hit American and European Servers [Read]
'Star Wars' 7 - The Plot Always Starts with Tatooine [Read]
'Tropico' 5 Review and Release Date for PC [Watch Trailer] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’