Indonesia’s Ambassador Returns to Australia, Signifies Thawing of Icy Diplomatic Relations
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 27, 2014 9:01 AM EST
Even if Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott "snubbed" the invitation of Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to an international conference in Bali a few weeks ago, the icy diplomatic relations between Canberra and Jakarta have started thawing.
File photo of Australia's PM Abbott being welcomed by Indonesia's President Yudhoyono as he arrives for the ABAC Dialogue with Leaders at the APEC Summit in Nusa Dua. November 24, 2013.
The sign is the return of Indonesian Ambassador to Australia Najib Riphat Kesoema to Canberra. The envoy was recalled by the president in November at the height of the spying allegations against Australia.
Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop used the announcement of the ambassador to his assignment to blame the Labor government which tapped the mobile phone of Mr Yudhoyono, his wife and several ministers.
The incident led Indonesia to suspend normal co-operation with Australia on the latter's asylum boat policy, while Indonesia demanded an apology and sought the signing of a code of conduct before they resume joint efforts on common problems such as people smuggling, defence and intelligence sharing.
Bishop had already sent the draft of the code of conduct to Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa in December, but it hasn't been signed yet. Mr Yudhoyono hopes the agreement would be inked by August, which would be the final confirmation of resumption of normal diplomatic ties between the two neighours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canada Housing Affordability Improves: Toronto, Vancouver Properties Most Pricey
- New Zealand PM John Key Dismisses 'Dirty Politics' Issue in TV Debate, Outshines David Cunliffe
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Malaysia And Australia Agree To Split MH 370 Search Costs
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide