Aussie MP Exposes Weakness of Parliament Security by Smuggling in Fake Pipe Bomb
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 27, 2014 8:55 AM EST
Liberal MP Bill Heffernan successfully showed on Monday the security flaw in Australia's Parliament building when he was able to successfully smuggle a fake pipe bomb and dynamite sticks undetected.
He showed the police, who were being asked in a parliamentary hearing over new screening measures, the empty pipe and imitation dynamite to prove his point.
The MP then described Parliament's security as a joke because officials and employees could enter the building carrying illegal items since they are not subject to a metal detector security check and X-ray screening. The new measures exempts MPs, but not media, contractors and the public.
He warned that Parliament could be at risk of a home-made bomb because of the lax security. Heffernan is an expert at makeshift explosives because as a child he used to blow up trees on their family yard, using some nitropril, a quart of distillate, a plug of jelly and a detonator.
Australian Federal Police head Tony Negus admitted the risks posed by current arrangements which were put in place to cut costs.
It is not Heffernan's first attempt to breach Parliament's security to test the system which he described as stupid, dodgy and risky." He attempted to smuggle a knife in 2009 and was caught.
Heffernan appears to love taking risks such as using his parliamentary privilege to a High Court judge of paedophilia, but it turned out to be false.
The trial new security measures will be subject to review only by early 2015.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen