UK Police’s Request Results in Suspension of Torrentz.EU Domain
By Tarun Mazumdar | May 27, 2014 8:06 AM EST
Various file-sharing sites are facing the music as copyright holders and authorities decide to take them down. Earlier, Australian government has planned to block The Pirate Bay using different methods like sending warning letters and asking local ISPs to block the access to TPB. The Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit in the UK has requested the suspension of Torrentz.eu domain. According to TorrentFreak, the Web site continues to function under two different domains. It is likely that the site plans to move the suspended domain to a new registrar.
City of London Police has been trying for the past few months to bring down the Web sites that provide illegal content. The police department has been working with copyright holders.
According to TorrentFreak, the police issued warning letters to Web site owners asking them to shut down or get authorised content. Later, the authorities also asked the domain registrars to suspend the domain names of various Web sites.
A few days ago, the police again reminded the registrars to suspend the domain by sending warning letters.
TorrentFreak has been informed by the operator of Torrentz that the Web site's domain name was suspended by the registrar. However, the site is still registered to Torrentz and they hope to move the domain or lift the ban.
The other Torrentz domains are unaffected like Torrentz.ch and Torrentz.me.
Meanwhile, many registrars are willing to suspend, but easyDNS (Canada) previously defended its customers.
"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought it was something that gets decided in a court of law, as opposed to 'some guy on the internet' sending emails. While that's plenty reason enough for some registrars to take down domain names, it doesn't fly here," said CEO Mark Jeftovic of easyDNS.
Now, it has to be seen if Torrentz team will be able to get the domain transferred to a new location or unsuspended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]