UK Police’s Request Results in Suspension of Torrentz.EU Domain
By Tarun Mazumdar | May 27, 2014 8:06 AM EST
Various file-sharing sites are facing the music as copyright holders and authorities decide to take them down. Earlier, Australian government has planned to block The Pirate Bay using different methods like sending warning letters and asking local ISPs to block the access to TPB. The Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit in the UK has requested the suspension of Torrentz.eu domain. According to TorrentFreak, the Web site continues to function under two different domains. It is likely that the site plans to move the suspended domain to a new registrar.
City of London Police has been trying for the past few months to bring down the Web sites that provide illegal content. The police department has been working with copyright holders.
According to TorrentFreak, the police issued warning letters to Web site owners asking them to shut down or get authorised content. Later, the authorities also asked the domain registrars to suspend the domain names of various Web sites.
A few days ago, the police again reminded the registrars to suspend the domain by sending warning letters.
TorrentFreak has been informed by the operator of Torrentz that the Web site's domain name was suspended by the registrar. However, the site is still registered to Torrentz and they hope to move the domain or lift the ban.
The other Torrentz domains are unaffected like Torrentz.ch and Torrentz.me.
Meanwhile, many registrars are willing to suspend, but easyDNS (Canada) previously defended its customers.
"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought it was something that gets decided in a court of law, as opposed to 'some guy on the internet' sending emails. While that's plenty reason enough for some registrars to take down domain names, it doesn't fly here," said CEO Mark Jeftovic of easyDNS.
Now, it has to be seen if Torrentz team will be able to get the domain transferred to a new location or unsuspended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- HTC One Mini 2 vs. Nexus 5 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- iPhone 5 vs. LG G3 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Xbox One News: Possible 24-Hour Free Games, 5M Approved Units In China And Continuing Resolution Issues
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop