UK Police’s Request Results in Suspension of Torrentz.EU Domain
By Tarun Mazumdar | May 27, 2014 8:06 AM EST
Various file-sharing sites are facing the music as copyright holders and authorities decide to take them down. Earlier, Australian government has planned to block The Pirate Bay using different methods like sending warning letters and asking local ISPs to block the access to TPB. The Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit in the UK has requested the suspension of Torrentz.eu domain. According to TorrentFreak, the Web site continues to function under two different domains. It is likely that the site plans to move the suspended domain to a new registrar.
City of London Police has been trying for the past few months to bring down the Web sites that provide illegal content. The police department has been working with copyright holders.
According to TorrentFreak, the police issued warning letters to Web site owners asking them to shut down or get authorised content. Later, the authorities also asked the domain registrars to suspend the domain names of various Web sites.
A few days ago, the police again reminded the registrars to suspend the domain by sending warning letters.
TorrentFreak has been informed by the operator of Torrentz that the Web site's domain name was suspended by the registrar. However, the site is still registered to Torrentz and they hope to move the domain or lift the ban.
The other Torrentz domains are unaffected like Torrentz.ch and Torrentz.me.
Meanwhile, many registrars are willing to suspend, but easyDNS (Canada) previously defended its customers.
"Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought it was something that gets decided in a court of law, as opposed to 'some guy on the internet' sending emails. While that's plenty reason enough for some registrars to take down domain names, it doesn't fly here," said CEO Mark Jeftovic of easyDNS.
Now, it has to be seen if Torrentz team will be able to get the domain transferred to a new location or unsuspended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate