Japanese Kei Nishikori First Big Name to Fall at the 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | May 27, 2014 2:11 AM EST
Martin Klizan delivered the first major upset of the 2014 French Open after booting out ninth-seed Kei Nishikori in the first round of the clay court grand slam in Paris, France. The Slovakian ousted the Japanese via straight sets, 7-6 (4), 6-1, 6-2.
Coming into his opening match, Nishikori was not 100 per cent after a hip injury at the Madrid Open earlier this May. Klizan, ranked No. 59 in the world, took full advantage.
After a close first set that took 56 minutes to finish, Klizan put the pressure on the injured Japanese taking the next two sets in just 61 minutes.
It was a disappointing Grand Slam ending for Nishikori, who climbed to the No. 9 spot in the world rankings after winning the Barcelona Open in April. He became the first Japanese to reach that spot in the ATP rankings.
“I’m actually happy to finish the match,” Nishikori said via Sports Illustrated. “I was really disappointed that my performance was, I mean, not very bad, but it wasn’t a perfect match for me today. And I didn’t have much practice. So I knew this is going to be happen.”
After the first set, Nishikori completely collapsed, most likely because of the hip injury. He had more double-faults (10-to-3) and had more unforced errors (40-27) compared to the Slovak.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nishikori-Klizan match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery