Japanese Kei Nishikori First Big Name to Fall at the 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | May 27, 2014 2:11 AM EST
Martin Klizan delivered the first major upset of the 2014 French Open after booting out ninth-seed Kei Nishikori in the first round of the clay court grand slam in Paris, France. The Slovakian ousted the Japanese via straight sets, 7-6 (4), 6-1, 6-2.
Coming into his opening match, Nishikori was not 100 per cent after a hip injury at the Madrid Open earlier this May. Klizan, ranked No. 59 in the world, took full advantage.
After a close first set that took 56 minutes to finish, Klizan put the pressure on the injured Japanese taking the next two sets in just 61 minutes.
It was a disappointing Grand Slam ending for Nishikori, who climbed to the No. 9 spot in the world rankings after winning the Barcelona Open in April. He became the first Japanese to reach that spot in the ATP rankings.
“I’m actually happy to finish the match,” Nishikori said via Sports Illustrated. “I was really disappointed that my performance was, I mean, not very bad, but it wasn’t a perfect match for me today. And I didn’t have much practice. So I knew this is going to be happen.”
After the first set, Nishikori completely collapsed, most likely because of the hip injury. He had more double-faults (10-to-3) and had more unforced errors (40-27) compared to the Slovak.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nishikori-Klizan match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8