Japanese Kei Nishikori First Big Name to Fall at the 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | May 27, 2014 2:11 AM EST
Martin Klizan delivered the first major upset of the 2014 French Open after booting out ninth-seed Kei Nishikori in the first round of the clay court grand slam in Paris, France. The Slovakian ousted the Japanese via straight sets, 7-6 (4), 6-1, 6-2.
Coming into his opening match, Nishikori was not 100 per cent after a hip injury at the Madrid Open earlier this May. Klizan, ranked No. 59 in the world, took full advantage.
After a close first set that took 56 minutes to finish, Klizan put the pressure on the injured Japanese taking the next two sets in just 61 minutes.
It was a disappointing Grand Slam ending for Nishikori, who climbed to the No. 9 spot in the world rankings after winning the Barcelona Open in April. He became the first Japanese to reach that spot in the ATP rankings.
“I’m actually happy to finish the match,” Nishikori said via Sports Illustrated. “I was really disappointed that my performance was, I mean, not very bad, but it wasn’t a perfect match for me today. And I didn’t have much practice. So I knew this is going to be happen.”
After the first set, Nishikori completely collapsed, most likely because of the hip injury. He had more double-faults (10-to-3) and had more unforced errors (40-27) compared to the Slovak.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nishikori-Klizan match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown