Japanese Kei Nishikori First Big Name to Fall at the 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | May 27, 2014 2:11 AM EST
Martin Klizan delivered the first major upset of the 2014 French Open after booting out ninth-seed Kei Nishikori in the first round of the clay court grand slam in Paris, France. The Slovakian ousted the Japanese via straight sets, 7-6 (4), 6-1, 6-2.
Coming into his opening match, Nishikori was not 100 per cent after a hip injury at the Madrid Open earlier this May. Klizan, ranked No. 59 in the world, took full advantage.
After a close first set that took 56 minutes to finish, Klizan put the pressure on the injured Japanese taking the next two sets in just 61 minutes.
It was a disappointing Grand Slam ending for Nishikori, who climbed to the No. 9 spot in the world rankings after winning the Barcelona Open in April. He became the first Japanese to reach that spot in the ATP rankings.
“I’m actually happy to finish the match,” Nishikori said via Sports Illustrated. “I was really disappointed that my performance was, I mean, not very bad, but it wasn’t a perfect match for me today. And I didn’t have much practice. So I knew this is going to be happen.”
After the first set, Nishikori completely collapsed, most likely because of the hip injury. He had more double-faults (10-to-3) and had more unforced errors (40-27) compared to the Slovak.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nishikori-Klizan match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report