Japanese Kei Nishikori First Big Name to Fall at the 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | May 27, 2014 2:11 AM EST
Martin Klizan delivered the first major upset of the 2014 French Open after booting out ninth-seed Kei Nishikori in the first round of the clay court grand slam in Paris, France. The Slovakian ousted the Japanese via straight sets, 7-6 (4), 6-1, 6-2.
Coming into his opening match, Nishikori was not 100 per cent after a hip injury at the Madrid Open earlier this May. Klizan, ranked No. 59 in the world, took full advantage.
After a close first set that took 56 minutes to finish, Klizan put the pressure on the injured Japanese taking the next two sets in just 61 minutes.
It was a disappointing Grand Slam ending for Nishikori, who climbed to the No. 9 spot in the world rankings after winning the Barcelona Open in April. He became the first Japanese to reach that spot in the ATP rankings.
“I’m actually happy to finish the match,” Nishikori said via Sports Illustrated. “I was really disappointed that my performance was, I mean, not very bad, but it wasn’t a perfect match for me today. And I didn’t have much practice. So I knew this is going to be happen.”
After the first set, Nishikori completely collapsed, most likely because of the hip injury. He had more double-faults (10-to-3) and had more unforced errors (40-27) compared to the Slovak.
View the slideshow for more images from the Nishikori-Klizan match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James