Real Madrid Celebrates Champions League Victory from Lisbon straight to Madrid
May 26, 2014 6:23 PM EST
Real Madrid Celebrates Champions League Victory From Lisbon straight to Madrid
Real Madrid CF lived the dream last Saturday night when they clinched their elusive tenth UEFA Champions League title. The Spanish giants went against city-rivals Atletico Madrid and came out on top 4-1 after extra time.
Atletico Madrid were still on top 1-0 at the end of regulation time but a header from Sergio Ramos on the 93rd minute forced the game to extra time. Real Madrid took control and further goals from Gareth Bale, Marcelo and Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo sealed the deal.
Ronaldo started the celebrations right after he scored his penalty kick by doing a Mario Balotelli-inspired shirtless pose in front of his home crowd in Lisbon. Ronaldo was unable to show his magic for most of the match as Atletico focused on defending against his skills.
Real Madrid Manager Carlo Ancelotti celebrates his third Champions League trophy after his previous two with AC Milan in 2003 and 2007.
The team flew straight back to Madrid the same night and arrived at Madrid's townhall for a courtesy call with Mayor Botella. The entire team then boarded an open top bus to make their way to plaza Cibeles where thousands of fans have been waiting for hours to greet their team. Celebrations are traditionally held at this location every time Real Madrid wins a title. City rivals Atletico, hold their celebrations at the Neptuno fountain.
Iker Casillas had a lapse in judgement in the first half which allowed Atletico to score the first goal of the match and what was also very nearly the only goal of the match. Sergio Ramos saved the team through his stoppage time header and Casillas quickly acknowledged the fact and passed on the trophy to his vice captain and allowed him to do the ceremonial lifting of the trophy at the Cibeles fountain in Madrid as well as wrapping the team's scarf and flag around the Goddess' neck.
The players took turns with the microphone and thanked each other and the fans for their support before the ceremony ended with the unveiling of Real Madrid's new song for "La Decima."
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate