Real Madrid Celebrates Champions League Victory from Lisbon straight to Madrid
May 26, 2014 6:23 PM EST
Real Madrid Celebrates Champions League Victory From Lisbon straight to Madrid
Real Madrid CF lived the dream last Saturday night when they clinched their elusive tenth UEFA Champions League title. The Spanish giants went against city-rivals Atletico Madrid and came out on top 4-1 after extra time.
Atletico Madrid were still on top 1-0 at the end of regulation time but a header from Sergio Ramos on the 93rd minute forced the game to extra time. Real Madrid took control and further goals from Gareth Bale, Marcelo and Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo sealed the deal.
Ronaldo started the celebrations right after he scored his penalty kick by doing a Mario Balotelli-inspired shirtless pose in front of his home crowd in Lisbon. Ronaldo was unable to show his magic for most of the match as Atletico focused on defending against his skills.
Real Madrid Manager Carlo Ancelotti celebrates his third Champions League trophy after his previous two with AC Milan in 2003 and 2007.
The team flew straight back to Madrid the same night and arrived at Madrid's townhall for a courtesy call with Mayor Botella. The entire team then boarded an open top bus to make their way to plaza Cibeles where thousands of fans have been waiting for hours to greet their team. Celebrations are traditionally held at this location every time Real Madrid wins a title. City rivals Atletico, hold their celebrations at the Neptuno fountain.
Iker Casillas had a lapse in judgement in the first half which allowed Atletico to score the first goal of the match and what was also very nearly the only goal of the match. Sergio Ramos saved the team through his stoppage time header and Casillas quickly acknowledged the fact and passed on the trophy to his vice captain and allowed him to do the ceremonial lifting of the trophy at the Cibeles fountain in Madrid as well as wrapping the team's scarf and flag around the Goddess' neck.
The players took turns with the microphone and thanked each other and the fans for their support before the ceremony ended with the unveiling of Real Madrid's new song for "La Decima."
- Budget 2014: Treasurer Joe Hockey Acknowledges Unpopularity of 1st Coalition Budget, Which Includes 16,000 Job Cuts & Deficit Tax
- Japan merchandise trade balance
- Could The Syrian Downing Of A Turkish Jet Bring In NATO?
- Breast Cancer iPhone App Enlists Hunky Men to Remind Women About Self-Examination
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones