Fernando Alonso Feels ‘Emptiness’ Without Schumi
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 26, 2014 6:04 PM EST
Two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso has reportedly expressed his sympathy for the fate of racing legend Michael Schumacher at the recently concluded Monaco Grand Prix.
During the traditional charity football match held before the race this weekend, the Spanish Formula One (F1) racing driver, who is currently sprinting for Scuderia Ferrari, told French sports newspaper L 'Equipe as reported by Focus.de, that he felt "emptiness" without Schumacher.
Ferrari Formula One driver Fernando Alonso of Spain waves as he arrives at the third practice session of the Monaco Grand Prix in Monaco May 24, 2014. REUTERS/Robert Pratta
"For us who knew Michael as someone who was so strong, resolute, and invincible, it seems that what happened to him was surreal," Alonso told the French newspaper via online translation. "He was a hero, even for me as I am still driving cars," Alonso added.
"Our thoughts are all with him, and we wait for him to come back."
In addition to Alonso, racer drivers, Nico Rosberg and Jules Bianci, have also expressed their support for Schumacher and wrote "Get well soon, Schumi," on a letter, the German news Web site further reported.
In January, Alonso said he wanted to pay tribute to Schumacher by rivalling Schumacher's success with Ferrari, Independent.co.uk reported.
"Schumacher won the title in his fifth year with Ferrari and I am in my fifth year now," Alonso cited.
"Hopefully, I can repeat some of the success he had."
"In 2010 and 2012, we were very close, hopefully, this will be a good one."
Alonso placed fourth at the Monaco Grand Prix behind Red Bull's Daniel Ricciado, Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes' Nico Rosberg at third, second, and first places, respectively. Alonso has now reportedly competed in 20 races without bringing home a victory.
According to Alonso, his fourth place finish was the best the Ferrari could have achieved, F1fanatic.co.uk reported.
Alonso had also encountered some electrical problems at the onset. He said they didn't have the enough horsepower in the beginning and along the first straight. Fortunately for Alonso, he was able to overtake which was why he was able to maintain his positions.
"The race is very tough for us."
"We had some luck and overtook some guys so I think fourth was the maximum we could do today."
Alonso is expected to race at the Canadian Grand Prix on June 8, posted on his official Web site.
"Finishing just off the podium today was a good result, especially after a difficult start and the various incidents during the race. At the start, something in the motor didn't work, but even if I'd had full power, there was no room to overtake. The three cars ahead of me deserved to be there as they were really uncatchable. I am pleased with fourth place, because we were able to manage a race in which you had to always maintain the highest level of concentration as there were plenty of tense moments. Our pace was good and that means that, bit by bit, we are improving. Sure, the gap to the leaders is still significant, because like us, they are still moving forward on the development front. Therefore we must always try to do better, starting with the next race in Canada."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch