Manchester United News: Striker Rubbishes Former Manager's Implication of Laziness, Blames Latter for Poor Performance
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 26, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck rubbished Old Trafford's former boss, Davide Moyes, claim that the 23-year-old lacked work ethic.
“I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work." - Danny Welbeck
"I was pretty surprised at that to be honest," the England international told BBC Sport.
"Before he made that statement I was doing extra training. Maybe he just didn't see it."
He accounted for 10 of the Red Devils' goals in all competitions, while turning provider 6 times in 36 appearances in the recently concluded season.
"I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work," he added.
"It's born and bred in me to do extra work after training and maybe he wasn't seeing that extra stuff. I was doing extras in the gym and on the pitch."
Moreover, Welbeck attributes his poor performance to Moyes' preference of playing him on the flanks, as he prefers to occupy the middle of the attacking line.
"I'd like to play central. I've been playing on the left for a while and it's got to the time where I want to stake a place up front," he revealed.
"My goals per game ratio is better for England. I'm much more free up front as there are three in midfield and three up front. Maybe I'm kind of let off the leash a bit more for England than United."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance