Manchester United News: Striker Rubbishes Former Manager's Implication of Laziness, Blames Latter for Poor Performance
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 26, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck rubbished Old Trafford's former boss, Davide Moyes, claim that the 23-year-old lacked work ethic.
“I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work." - Danny Welbeck
"I was pretty surprised at that to be honest," the England international told BBC Sport.
"Before he made that statement I was doing extra training. Maybe he just didn't see it."
He accounted for 10 of the Red Devils' goals in all competitions, while turning provider 6 times in 36 appearances in the recently concluded season.
"I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work," he added.
"It's born and bred in me to do extra work after training and maybe he wasn't seeing that extra stuff. I was doing extras in the gym and on the pitch."
Moreover, Welbeck attributes his poor performance to Moyes' preference of playing him on the flanks, as he prefers to occupy the middle of the attacking line.
"I'd like to play central. I've been playing on the left for a while and it's got to the time where I want to stake a place up front," he revealed.
"My goals per game ratio is better for England. I'm much more free up front as there are three in midfield and three up front. Maybe I'm kind of let off the leash a bit more for England than United."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS