Manchester United News: Striker Rubbishes Former Manager's Implication of Laziness, Blames Latter for Poor Performance
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 26, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck rubbished Old Trafford's former boss, Davide Moyes, claim that the 23-year-old lacked work ethic.
“I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work." - Danny Welbeck
"I was pretty surprised at that to be honest," the England international told BBC Sport.
"Before he made that statement I was doing extra training. Maybe he just didn't see it."
He accounted for 10 of the Red Devils' goals in all competitions, while turning provider 6 times in 36 appearances in the recently concluded season.
"I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work," he added.
"It's born and bred in me to do extra work after training and maybe he wasn't seeing that extra stuff. I was doing extras in the gym and on the pitch."
Moreover, Welbeck attributes his poor performance to Moyes' preference of playing him on the flanks, as he prefers to occupy the middle of the attacking line.
"I'd like to play central. I've been playing on the left for a while and it's got to the time where I want to stake a place up front," he revealed.
"My goals per game ratio is better for England. I'm much more free up front as there are three in midfield and three up front. Maybe I'm kind of let off the leash a bit more for England than United."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage