Manchester United News: Striker Rubbishes Former Manager's Implication of Laziness, Blames Latter for Poor Performance
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 26, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck rubbished Old Trafford's former boss, Davide Moyes, claim that the 23-year-old lacked work ethic.
“I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work." - Danny Welbeck
"I was pretty surprised at that to be honest," the England international told BBC Sport.
"Before he made that statement I was doing extra training. Maybe he just didn't see it."
He accounted for 10 of the Red Devils' goals in all competitions, while turning provider 6 times in 36 appearances in the recently concluded season.
"I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work," he added.
"It's born and bred in me to do extra work after training and maybe he wasn't seeing that extra stuff. I was doing extras in the gym and on the pitch."
Moreover, Welbeck attributes his poor performance to Moyes' preference of playing him on the flanks, as he prefers to occupy the middle of the attacking line.
"I'd like to play central. I've been playing on the left for a while and it's got to the time where I want to stake a place up front," he revealed.
"My goals per game ratio is better for England. I'm much more free up front as there are three in midfield and three up front. Maybe I'm kind of let off the leash a bit more for England than United."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge