Manchester United News: Striker Rubbishes Former Manager's Implication of Laziness, Blames Latter for Poor Performance
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 26, 2014 3:01 PM EST
Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck rubbished Old Trafford's former boss, Davide Moyes, claim that the 23-year-old lacked work ethic.
“I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work." - Danny Welbeck
"I was pretty surprised at that to be honest," the England international told BBC Sport.
"Before he made that statement I was doing extra training. Maybe he just didn't see it."
He accounted for 10 of the Red Devils' goals in all competitions, while turning provider 6 times in 36 appearances in the recently concluded season.
"I've grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work," he added.
"It's born and bred in me to do extra work after training and maybe he wasn't seeing that extra stuff. I was doing extras in the gym and on the pitch."
Moreover, Welbeck attributes his poor performance to Moyes' preference of playing him on the flanks, as he prefers to occupy the middle of the attacking line.
"I'd like to play central. I've been playing on the left for a while and it's got to the time where I want to stake a place up front," he revealed.
"My goals per game ratio is better for England. I'm much more free up front as there are three in midfield and three up front. Maybe I'm kind of let off the leash a bit more for England than United."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown