Novak Djokovic: ‘Inspired to Play Best Tennis’ at the 2014 French Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 26, 2014 2:51 PM EST
Serbian athlete and world's second-ranked Novak Djokovic is reportedly "inspired" to play his best tennis at the Roland Garros 2014 French Open tournament.
Fresh from his victory against Rafael Nadal at the 2014 Italian Open, Djokovic told ESPN.com that the Spanish athlete may be the crowd's favourite to win the title at the 2014 French Open, he is confident that he is going to be a tough challenge for the top-ranked Nadal.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia sprays champagne to celebrate after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
"Winning against Nadal on clay is something that doesn't happen every day," Djokovic said. "The tournament win in Rome came at the right moment for me," Djokovic added.
"For my confidence level it's definitely a booster and a positive thing."
"Hopefully I can carry that confidence coming into Roland Garros, I'm healthy and obviously very motivated and inspired to play my best tennis here."
Djokovic and Nadal faced each other in the Roland Garros French Open for five times, according to the head-to-head match stats from the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) official Web site. Djokovic first clashed and lost to Nadal in the quarterfinals of the said tournament in 2006. A year later, Djokovic fell back to Nadal in the semifinals. The same story happened in 2008. Then, in 2011, Djokovic made his first final at the Roland Garros against the Spanish athlete, but still Nadal still persevered. In 2013, Djokovic and Nadal exchanged shots in the semifinals match but the Serbian athlete was sent home but the Spaniard again.
"Knowing that I have gotten closer and closer each year to the title gives me enough reason to be confident from the start of this year."
"It's a Grand Slam."
"It's a two-week-long event, best-of-five sets, and there is a feeling that almost all of the players who are participating in the event have an extra motivation to perform well."
Can Djokovic really outdo Nadal and other participants at the 2014 French Open, the only Grand Slam tournament that he hasn't won? Will Djokovic finally be able to bring home the trophy to complete his career Grand Slam?
Djokovic, who recently celebrated his 27th birthday on May 22, will face Joao Sousa in the first round of Roland Garros 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar