Novak Djokovic: ‘Inspired to Play Best Tennis’ at the 2014 French Open
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 26, 2014 2:51 PM EST
Serbian athlete and world's second-ranked Novak Djokovic is reportedly "inspired" to play his best tennis at the Roland Garros 2014 French Open tournament.
Fresh from his victory against Rafael Nadal at the 2014 Italian Open, Djokovic told ESPN.com that the Spanish athlete may be the crowd's favourite to win the title at the 2014 French Open, he is confident that he is going to be a tough challenge for the top-ranked Nadal.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia sprays champagne to celebrate after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
"Winning against Nadal on clay is something that doesn't happen every day," Djokovic said. "The tournament win in Rome came at the right moment for me," Djokovic added.
"For my confidence level it's definitely a booster and a positive thing."
"Hopefully I can carry that confidence coming into Roland Garros, I'm healthy and obviously very motivated and inspired to play my best tennis here."
Djokovic and Nadal faced each other in the Roland Garros French Open for five times, according to the head-to-head match stats from the Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) official Web site. Djokovic first clashed and lost to Nadal in the quarterfinals of the said tournament in 2006. A year later, Djokovic fell back to Nadal in the semifinals. The same story happened in 2008. Then, in 2011, Djokovic made his first final at the Roland Garros against the Spanish athlete, but still Nadal still persevered. In 2013, Djokovic and Nadal exchanged shots in the semifinals match but the Serbian athlete was sent home but the Spaniard again.
"Knowing that I have gotten closer and closer each year to the title gives me enough reason to be confident from the start of this year."
"It's a Grand Slam."
"It's a two-week-long event, best-of-five sets, and there is a feeling that almost all of the players who are participating in the event have an extra motivation to perform well."
Can Djokovic really outdo Nadal and other participants at the 2014 French Open, the only Grand Slam tournament that he hasn't won? Will Djokovic finally be able to bring home the trophy to complete his career Grand Slam?
Djokovic, who recently celebrated his 27th birthday on May 22, will face Joao Sousa in the first round of Roland Garros 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best