Isla Vista Killing Gives Birth to #YesAllWomen Hashtag on Twitter
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 26, 2014 2:45 PM EST
Shortly after the incident of Isla Vista killing in Santa Barbara, California, the hashtag #YesAllWomen was born on Twitter. The 22-year old suspect Elliott Rodgers killed a total of six people and shot himself on Friday night.
Social media users then turned to Twitter to express their reactions which started from complain to male activist rights and has already grown to include physical harassment, gender relations, and other concerns. Twitter has already gone overdrive with 733,480 tweets per day for the hastag #YesAllWomen.
One Twitter user @Cool_Tweetsss said that the hashtag #YesAllWomen is the most important hashtag the user has ever seen. The opinion of @martynlenoble resounds the above-mentioned post as he stated: "I'm reading #YesAllWomen tweets. By far the most powerful, humbling and moving hashtag I've ever seen."
Men and women alike shared their opinion on the social media. One user @wilw mentioned that the hashtag #YesAllWomen is not about women vs. men but it is all about good vs. evil moment. The user proudly salutes his male friends who understand about it.
According to an article from CNN, Rodgers left behind a chilling 140 page manifesto which he emailed to his parents, one of his therapists, and a dozen other people prior to the killing spree. The document describes in full details the suspect's hang-ups on his parent's divorce, his negative perception of his height, and frustrations on women's rejections.
The suspect also uploaded a video on YouTube entitled "Retribution" which detailed his plan of "slaughtering" women at a sorority house at the University of California.
His mom, Lichin Rodgers read the email and saw the YouTube clip. She called her husband and dialed 911 and together they set off to Sta. Barbara, California but it was already too late to save their son from committing the deadly rampage.
Local County Sheriff Bill Brown explained in an article from NPR News that the chaotic killing incidents happened in a total of 10 different locations. At the first crime scene, Rodgers stabbed his three roommates in their apartment. He also shot two students of UC Santa Barbara who were just standing outside the Alpha Phi sorority house using a gun which was legally purchased and registered under his name. He also killed another student in a deli which was located near the campus.
Watch the video from YouTube.
Read the tweets below.
— Cool Tweets (@Cool_Tweetsss) May 26, 2014
I'm reading #YesAllWomen tweets. By far the most powerful, humbling and moving hashtag I've ever seen. — Martyn LeNoble (@martynlenoble) May 26, 2014
— Wil Wheaton (@wilw) May 25, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Skype Gets A New Exclusive Feature On The Windows Phone
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]