Screen Australia’s Search for Most Promising Producer Continues; Opens Workshop with Ross Kaufman, Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard
By Athena Yenko | May 26, 2014 2:41 PM EST
Screen Australia, with FilmNation, opens its second producer placement program to all interested producers.
Two chosen individuals will be working in the Los Angeles offices of FilmNation in Los Angeles in August. They will be writing detailed coverage, prepare analysis of scripts, brainstorm ideas, prepare writers, director, cast lists and will take notes on script during projects.
The submission for application ends on Friday, June 20.
"FilmNation is thrilled to continue its partnership with Screen Australia and have the opportunity to work with more of Australia's most promising producers. We have been incredibly impressed with our current Screen Australia placements, and can't wait to forge new relationships with the talented individuals who will be joining us this summer," Alison Cohen, FilmNation's EVP, Business and Legal Affairs, said in a statement.
"We are delighted to be able to offer Australia's most outstanding emerging producing talent the opportunity to work with some of the best companies and organisations worldwide and to bring back new experience, relationships and inspiration to the film industry here. I'd like to congratulate Karen, Donna and Cecilia on their success in being chosen as the recipients of placements at Scott Free London and the San Francisco Film Society. And I encourage promising producers to apply for the FilmNation placements - another great opportunity to learn from some of the film industry's smartest executives," Sally Caplan, Screen Australia's Head of Production.
In another partnership, Screen Australia and the 61st Sydney Film Festival opens Think Big at the Festival workshop.
The workshop will be facilitated by Academy Award winning director Ross Kauffman and visual artists and filmmakers Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard. It will be conducted on Friday, June 6 at the Festival Hub, Lower Town Hall.
Mr Kauffman will share his strategy on mounting a documentary - funding, marketing and character building.
"I want to tell a great story with great characters. It's all about connecting with people. Whether it's children in the brothels of India, or human rights investigators on the front lines of history. For me, the key is forming a connection. Once we can relate to our characters, anything is possible," Mr Kauffman said.
Mr Forsyth and Ms Pollard, directors of 20,000 Days on Earth will discuss how to weave fact and fiction in creating a cinematic portrait.
"We all had a lack of interest and a lack of trust in the fly-on-the-wall style music documentary - the sort of film that suggests it somehow gets 'behind the mask' of the rock star. Our background is in art rather than filmmaking, and in our own work for many years we've explored our belief that artifice can be used as a device to reveal a greater truth," said Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard," Mr Forsyth and Ms Pollard said in a statement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4