Pebble Watch Beats Samsung and Sony in Smartwatch/Smartband Market
By Tanya Diente | May 26, 2014 2:24 PM EST
Pebble Watch is the top selling wearable smart band for the 1st quarter of 2014. According to Canalys, it has captured 35% of the smartwatch market. Big brands like Sony with 29% and Samsung with 23% have taken both 2nd and 3rd places respectively, and the remaining 13% of the market was cornered by various other brands (photo).
Pebble Watch, a Kickstarter-funded project, is the most popular choice of smart band for consumers this start of the year, according to GSM Arena. Sony's smartwatch lineup and Samsung's Galaxy Gear series also earned its share of good reputation among the wearable technology market. Worldwide sales and shipment report for each brand and model were used as basis to identify what represents the trend for the start of the year 2014. With other brands entering the market with their own models, sales and market share will definitely change in the coming months. With new technology and software on the way, especially with the upcoming release of the Google's new Android Wear OS, and rumours of Apple about to join the smartwatch market with an un-announced smartwatch, consumers could be seeing an entirely different report in the next quarter.
Pebble Watch captured the smart watch and smart band market by storm, especially since its compatibility with both Apple's iOS and Google's Android OS prove to be popular among the tech savvy. Other remarkable features of the Pebble Watch include a battery friendly E-ink Display (photo), a magnetic charge port on the side (photo) that keeps it water resistant up to 5ATM, and low energy Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity to keep it running for five to seven days.
Pebble Watch has a newer version called the Pebble Steel. This new model comes with all the features that made the original Pebble Watch very popular, plus a couple of upgrades. The Pebble Steel comes in a stainless steel body with a Corning Gorilla glass protected display. It also features an RGB LED for notifications and its shipment comes with an extra leather band. For those interested about the Pebble Steel, Slashgear offers a full review of the product.
Pebble Watch, along with its competitors such as Galaxy Gear, is definitely here to stay, as smartwatches and smart bands are gaining a foothold among tech-savvy consumers these days.
Below is a video comparison of the original Pebble watch and the new Pebble Steel.
Source: Youtube/Tech Smartt
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner Joins Cara Delevingne At Fendi Runway For Milan Fashion Week
- Lindsay Lohan Poses In Silk Underwear For Wonderland Magazine, Talks About Her Favourite Fashion Brands, Shares Beauty Tips [SEE VIDEO]
- Kim Kardashian Exposes Butt As She Becomes Victim To Another Wardrobe Malfunction
- Jessica Alba Talks About Her Entrepreneurial Side, Says She Considers Jennifer Lopez As Her Idol
- Post Nude Photo Scandal, Jennifer Lawrence Is 'Powerful' Woman For Dior Campaign, Wears Inspirational Message T-Shirt [SEE VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet