Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z2 Tablet New Firmware 17.1.1.A.0.402 Rolling Out; Video Recording Shutdown Fix May Be Included
By Ryan Inoyori | May 26, 2014 2:11 PM EST
The Sony Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet are now receiving a new Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware with build version 17.1.1.A.0.402 which brings various improvements and enhancements such as touch screen sensitivity.
Sony Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet New Update
Sony Mobile is now rolling out the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware for Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet with build version 17.1.1.A.0.402. There is no exact information yet of what the firmware will deliver on the device but it is expected to bring various enhancements and improvements to both devices.
According to XperiaBlog, early reports suggested that the firmware features necessary improvement on the touch screen sensitivity and other performance optimisations. However, it is unclear if the 17.1.1.A.0.402 build has the 4K video recording optimisations related to the force close problem.
It is now currently seeding live for Sony Xperia Z2 D6502 HSPA+ and D6503 4G-LTE models, and Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet SGP511/SGP512 Wi-Fi and SGP521 LTE variants.
Users may download the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat software using the Sony PC Companion installed on a Windows computer or Sony Bridge for MAC owners.
4K Video Recording Issue
When Sony released the Xperia Z2 smartphone in Singapore, owners noticed something different on the 4K video recording function. The issue is known as "force close" of the camera application whenever a user desires to record 4K videos in extended periods. Sony Mobile in Singapore already issued an official statement, acknowledging the problem but they did not reveal if a firmware update may fix it.
"We are aware of some users encountering issues when shooting 4K video for extended periods. Shooting movies in high quality 4K resolution can make significant demands on your phone's processor and battery life, as well as phone memory," statement by Sony Mobile Singapore quoted by XperiaBlog.
Sony Mobile suggested that users should install a high capacity of microSD card on Xperia Z2 such as the 128 GB type and shoot videos in 4K resolution with no longer than a few minutes at a time to prevent force close. Xperia Z2 features a built-in editor for users to compile recorded videos into one film.
Since Sony hasn't updated the official software support page for Xperia Z2, it is also unknown if the latest firmware rolling out contains the patch fix for the alleged bug on the dual-front stereo speakers having low volume with incoming call ringtones. It is also possible that the company may have intended to only use the bottom speakers for ringtones in order to save battery life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date