Sony Xperia SP New Certified Firmware 12.1.A.1.205 Unveiled; Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Remains Unclear
By Ryan Inoyori | May 26, 2014 12:37 PM EST
New firmware version 12.1.A.1.205 has been certified by PTCRB which may bring the major bug fixing patch to the flickering screen reported on the 12.1.A.1.201 update. However, Android 4.4.2 KitKat upgrade remains unclear and it is unknown if this firmware was the one referred by Vodafone Spain.
Sony Xperia SP 12.1.A.1.205
PTCRB just certified a new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware for Sony Xperia SP with build number 12.1.A.1.205. It is an incremental upgrade which may have the major bug fixing patch that fixes the flickering display screen issue reported on the previous Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update having the build version 12.1.A.1.201.
Firmware build 12.1.A.1.205 certified on May 23rd is compatible for Sony Xperia SP C5302, C5303 and C5306 models. Sony Mobile may possibly release the new firmware before the month ends or by early June.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat Remains Unclear
Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Sony Xperia SP is still unclear and Sony Mobile has not yet confirmed or denied the development of the said firmware. Vodafone Spain hinted out that Sony is developing a firmware for Xperia SP but the network carrier has no idea what version and what features the new software would bring to the device.
"For now, Sony told us that is has begun work on a new version of software, but has not given details about changes that could include this new version nor have provided a forecast for output. I commented at the time that something new arises," posted by forum representatives of Vodafone Spain.
Sony Xperia SP's official software support Web page still displays the device "under investigation" for Android 4.4.2 KitKat similar with Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V smartphones.
According to XperiaBlog, JustAboutPhones claims that Sony Xperia SP is likely to receive an Android 4.4.2 KitKat next month based on an internal document. Based on the firmware update roadmap, Xperia SP will join Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1 on getting the latest Android software version.
— Sony Xperia (@sonyxperia) January 22, 2014
Sony Mobile did announce the upcoming Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia M2 and Xperia E1 arriving in July after rolling out the software for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z. But, the company did not include Xperia SP on the next batch of Android 4.4.2 KitKat recipients which contrast the leaked update roadmap.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal