Major 6.9 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Greece, Turkey; 266 Injured
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 26, 2014 11:49 AM EST
A strong 6.9 magnitude earthquake struck Greece and Turkey on Saturday. A total of 266 were injured, mostly from Turkey, caused by panic as people rushed to get out of buildings.
The quake occurred 69 km (42 miles) south-southwest of the Greek city of Alexandroupolis, between the islands of Lemnos and Samothrace, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said. it had a depth of 10 km (6 miles).
The massive temblor was felt in Thessaloniki, the west coast of Turkey and as far away as Bulgaria and Istanbul.
"The earthquake has occurred in an area with especially high seismic activity, which, in the past, has given earthquakes up to 7 magnitude (in 1982)," Manolis Skordilis of the Institute of Geophysics told The Associated Press. "We are currently analyzing the aftershocks and are on alert," he added.
In Greece, one female British tourist was slightly injured at the airport, while two village residents from Kornos were treated for mild injuries at the local hospital, The Greek Reporter said, citing an unidentified Lemnos police officer. The temblor leveled three abandoned houses and a church on Lemnos island.
"It lasted very long and it was very intense. We haven't got the full picture of the damage caused yet," Antonis Chatzidiamantis, mayor of Lemnos, told Mega TV.
In Turkey, the 6.9 magnitude earthquake rattled Istanbul, the Aegean coastal city of Izmir and the popular tourism province of Antalya on the Mediterranean coast. Panic ensued among the people, giving off a tally of 266 injured.
The emergency and disaster management agency of Turkey said close to 70 aftershocks followed, the strongest measuring at 5.5.
"It will certainly have a very rich aftershock activity," Reuters quoted seismologist Costas Papazachos telling Ant1 TV. "There is obviously some reason for concern...we could easily have aftershocks of 5, 5.5 or 6 magnitude," he said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510