Breast Cancer Survivors Who Undergo Mastectomy Now Have Swimsuits Uniquely Designed for Them
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 26, 2014 9:59 AM EST
Breast cancer survivors now proudly flaunt a bikini. Some courageous women collaborated with Finnish fashion designers to introduce a swimsuit range for women in their post-mastectomy life. Elina Halttunen, who is a breast cancer survivor herself, is behind the innovation of Monokini 2.0.
Actress Angelina Jolie displays her tattoo as she arrives for a special Maleficent Costume Display at Kensington Palace in London May 8, 2014. "Maleficent" is the upcoming Disney film starring Jolie and Kensington Palace is the official residence of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.
Huffington Post quoted Ms Halttunen, "Swimwear is conventionally designed for women who haven't suffered a mastectomy." She talked about inciting a positive self-image for breast cancer survivors. "We want to incite a positive self-image of breast-operated women by showing that you can be whole, beautiful and sexy even with just one breast or with no breasts at all," she said. The Web site called the swimsuit range as "one of fashion's most powerful collaborations to date."
Halttunen also said that she would not want to hide her body. She does not want to stop swimming either, she said. On the other hand, she does not "want to undergo extensive plastic surgery operations." "I do not want to be forced to use the uncomfortable prosthesis on the beach," she said. She also said that she would want to "feel as free and active" as she did before she had cancer. Tärähtäneet ämmät (Nutty Tarts) and Pinja Valja are the artistic director of Monokini 2.0 that helps her do that.
Morgan Jones earlier reported that more women are getting interested in undergoing reconstructive surgeries after going through mastectomy. According to a new study, rates of breast reconstruction after a mastectomy increased suggestively during the period between 1998 and 2007. Around 56 per cent of women who had mastectomy also had a breast reconstruction surgery. Hollywood celebrities like Angelina Jolie underwent preventive double mastectomy and them had a breast reconstruction surgery. It is not common to flaunt a post-mastectomy body with pride.
That is exactly why it takes a lot of courage to do what Halttunen and women like her are doing. Fashion innovations like Monokini 2.0 are just a means of paying tribute to these gutsy women.
Watch the brave women in specially designed swimsuits HERE.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 12 Days to Mayweather-Maidana Rematch; Money May’s Bikram Yoga Routine Includes Placing $100 Bills Around Mat
- Ebola: American Doctors in Liberia Trying Out New Methods
- 5 Deadly Reasons to Stay Away From Soda (Watch Video)
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers