Global Markets Overview – 5/26/14
By Stan Shamu, IG Markets Strategist | May 26, 2014 9:30 AM EST
Equities managed to get into the weekend on a positive note, but developments out of the weekend remain on the European front. The dominant theme from Friday's session was modest US dollar strength with a solid new home sales reading helping sentiment along. The greenback enjoyed good strength against the yen and the euro, with USD/JPY nudging the 102 level. This puts the Nikkei in a very good position at the open today and we are currently calling it up 0.8% to 14,573.
A man looks at an electronic board displaying Japan's Nikkei average (top C) and various countries' stock indices, as passers-by walk past outside a brokerage in Tokyo April 16, 2014.
It's a big week ahead for Japan with BoJ minutes today, Kuroda speaking on Wednesday, retail sales on Thursday and CPI data on Friday. These events combined will give a good assessment on how Japan is tracking post the consumption tax hike. While the Nikkei is likely to start off the week on a positive note, the real threat is if we have an escalation of the situation in Europe which could lead to investors chasing safe haven assets.
Euro in focus as Greece tension ramps up
Increasing tension in Greece is on the radar with anti-Europe protests ramping up after Syriza gained support, while the Ukraine is close to appointing Poroshenko as president. Putin has reportedly assured Europe that Russia will respect the outcome of the Ukraine elections.
There is a big meeting taking place in Portugal where we will get some commentary on the EU parliamentary results and ECB president Mario Draghi will speak at an ECB central banking forum. This will keep the single currency firmly in focus, and considering EUR/USD is already under pressure, there will be a real test of 1.36 in the near term. The US will be closed for Memorial Day and the UK closed for Spring Day, which leaves Europe as the main point of focus. Looking at emerging markets, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be sworn in today.
AUD key for the local market
Ahead of the local market open we are calling the ASX 200 up 0.3% at 5507. From an equity perspective, I feel the AUD will play a big role this week. Already the AUD had held up much better than the market had expected, and it now looks like it is ready to give up some ground in the near term. Should this materialise, then we could finally see some of the AUD sensitive sectors pop higher.
At the moment a lot of sectors are suffering a double whammy from slowing growth and a relatively high AUD. Data is limited for the AUD this week, but capex data due out on Thursday always deserves some attention. As usual, mining and mining services companies will be in focus and could experience some volatility on the data. On the other side of the spectrum, yield plays and other defensive names are likely to continue underpinning the market in the near term.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales