Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 5/26/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | May 26, 2014 8:32 AM EST
In US economic data, new home sales rose by 6.4% to a 433,000 annual pace in April, above forecasts centred on result near 425,000. The weekly Economic Cycle Research Institute index eased from 136.3 to 135.1 in the latest week but is up 5.0% on a year ago.
European shares were generally higher on Friday despite some caution ahead of European Union elections and the Ukraine presidential election. The Italian market outperformed, up 1.8% in response to lower bond yields. But the UK market underperformed with the FTSE lower by 0.1%. The European FTSEurofirst 300 index rose by 0.2% and the German Dax rose by 0.5%. Mining shares were higher in London trade with shares in BHP Billiton up by 0.6% while Rio Tinto fell by 0.9%.
US sharemarkets rose on Friday with the broader S&P 500 index at record highs. Shares in Hewlett Packard rose by 6.1% after announcing that it will cut as many as 16,000 jobs. Other technology shares shone with Apple up 1.1% and Amazon shares up 2.4%. The Dow Jones index rose by 63 points or 0.4% with the S&P 500 up by 0.4% while the Nasdaq rose by 31.5 points or 0.8%. Over the week the Dow rose by 0.7%, the S&P 500 lifted by 1.2% and the Nasdaq rose by 2.3%.
US long-term treasury prices rose on Friday (yields lower) on uncertainty ahead of elections in Europe. However gains were tempered by good US economic data. US 2 year yields were flat at 0.347% while US 10 year yields were down by 2 points to 2.536%. Over the week US 2 year yields rose by almost 1 point and US 10 year yields fell by 1.5 points.
Major currencies held in tight ranges over European and US sessions ahead of holiday weekends in the US and the UK. The Euro fell from highs near US$1.3650 to lows near US$1.3615, before ending US trade around US$1.3635. The Aussie dollar fell from highs near US92.45c to lows near US92.15c before finishing US trade around US92.25c. And the Japanese yen held between 101.58 yen per US dollar and JPY101.99, before ending US trade near JPY101.96.
World oil prices rose on Friday. Traders watched developments in Libya and Ukraine, and remained positive about US and Chinese economies. Brent crude rose by US18c or 0.2% to US$110.54 a barrel while US Nymex rose by US61c or 0.6% to US$104.35 a barrel. Over the week Brent rose by US79c or 0.7% and Nymex rose by US$2.33 or 2.3%.
Base metal prices were up between 0.3-1.1% on the London Metal Exchange on Friday, the exception being nickel, down 0.5%. Over the week, metals rose up to 3.2% with nickel leading the gains. The Comex gold futures quote fell by US$3.30 an ounce on Friday to US$1,291.70 per ounce. Over the week gold fell by US$1.70 or 0.1%. Palladium fell 0.7% from 2-1/2 year highs. Iron ore fell by US$1.30 a tonne on Friday to US$97.50 a tonne. Iron ore fell US$3.20 over the week.
Ahead: In Australia, ´´Spotlight on National Accounts´´ is released. In the US, markets are closed for the Memorial Day holiday. The UK market is closed for the Spring Bank holiday.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales