Sydney Court Tries Mum, Nurse & Sheikh for Female Genital Mutilation of 2 Girls Aged 6 & 7
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 26, 2014 8:25 AM EST
A Sydney court started on Friday the trial of the first female genital mutilation case in New South Wales in which three people were accused of performing circumcision on two girls aged 6 and 7 in 2012.
Charged at the Parramatta Local Court were the mum of the two girls, Sheikh Shabbir Vazin, 53, and a 69-year-old retired nurse who performed the procedure.
Their lawyers insist the three did not breach the state's law, claiming the nick or cut done on the organs of the two girls failed to meet the legal definition of mutilation. They said there must be circumcision and tissue removal for the procedure to be considered mutilation.
But Magistrate Roger Brown rejected their argument, stressing that "all non-medical mutilation is prohibited ... Any nick or cut to the clitoris will amount to mutilation."
He reminded the three that female genital mutilation is banned even for religious or cultural reasons used to justify the practice.
He pointed out that while a small cut on the clitoris may seem like a small incident, if the same procedure would be performed on male genitals. Many men would balk from the procedure.
The case resumes on June 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Details of John Travolta’s Gay Relationship w/ Pilot to be Heard in Court
- 600 Videos Show Babies Raped by 32-year-old Home Carer
- AU’s Anti-Piracy Law is a Hollywood’s Wish List Coming True
- Keith Urban’s Concert Sends Dozens of Fans in Hospital Over Alcohol-Related Issues
- ACT Court Finds Former Parliament Speaker Peter Slipper Guilty of Dishonesty for Charging Wine Tour Cab Fare to Australian Taxpayers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal