Sydney Court Tries Mum, Nurse & Sheikh for Female Genital Mutilation of 2 Girls Aged 6 & 7
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 26, 2014 8:25 AM EST
A Sydney court started on Friday the trial of the first female genital mutilation case in New South Wales in which three people were accused of performing circumcision on two girls aged 6 and 7 in 2012.
Charged at the Parramatta Local Court were the mum of the two girls, Sheikh Shabbir Vazin, 53, and a 69-year-old retired nurse who performed the procedure.
Their lawyers insist the three did not breach the state's law, claiming the nick or cut done on the organs of the two girls failed to meet the legal definition of mutilation. They said there must be circumcision and tissue removal for the procedure to be considered mutilation.
But Magistrate Roger Brown rejected their argument, stressing that "all non-medical mutilation is prohibited ... Any nick or cut to the clitoris will amount to mutilation."
He reminded the three that female genital mutilation is banned even for religious or cultural reasons used to justify the practice.
He pointed out that while a small cut on the clitoris may seem like a small incident, if the same procedure would be performed on male genitals. Many men would balk from the procedure.
The case resumes on June 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter