Sydney Court Tries Mum, Nurse & Sheikh for Female Genital Mutilation of 2 Girls Aged 6 & 7
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 26, 2014 8:25 AM EST
A Sydney court started on Friday the trial of the first female genital mutilation case in New South Wales in which three people were accused of performing circumcision on two girls aged 6 and 7 in 2012.
Charged at the Parramatta Local Court were the mum of the two girls, Sheikh Shabbir Vazin, 53, and a 69-year-old retired nurse who performed the procedure.
Their lawyers insist the three did not breach the state's law, claiming the nick or cut done on the organs of the two girls failed to meet the legal definition of mutilation. They said there must be circumcision and tissue removal for the procedure to be considered mutilation.
But Magistrate Roger Brown rejected their argument, stressing that "all non-medical mutilation is prohibited ... Any nick or cut to the clitoris will amount to mutilation."
He reminded the three that female genital mutilation is banned even for religious or cultural reasons used to justify the practice.
He pointed out that while a small cut on the clitoris may seem like a small incident, if the same procedure would be performed on male genitals. Many men would balk from the procedure.
The case resumes on June 20.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown