All You Need to Know About Surface Pro 3 as Compared to iPad Air
By Naveena Joy | May 26, 2014 8:17 AM EST
Microsoft has announced its new tablet Surface Pro 3 which promises to feature high end specs as a possible subsitute for laptops. It is considered to be lighter, faster and stronger. It follows a design framework that combines the features of a laptop and a tablet.
Another product that compares itself to a laptop replacement is Apple's iPad Air. Though it is yet to get launched, there are certain speculations by which both iPad Air and Surface Pro 3 can be compared.
The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 has a 12.1 inch screen and is bigger as compared to that of iPad Air's 9.7 inch display. It has a resolution of 2160 x 1440, while the iPad Air has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. The iPad Air comes with 264ppi pixel density as compared to 216ppi of Surface 3 but the advantage here is to work with a larger surface.
The Surface Pro 3 has clean and clear internals without jamming it up to overflow with unwanted kits. There is a choice between models that come with Intel Core i3, Core i5 or Core i7 processors and if we compare with iPad Air, the Apple built A7 processor is standard in all models.
The iPad Air has 1GB of RAM while Microsoft Surface Pro 3 has two options of 4GB or 8GB RAM, designed for powerful tasks. It has also four different capacities like the iPad Air, but the Surface 3 starts at 64GB and an option to go up to 512GB and iPad Air starts at 16GB.
Panay, the voice of Microsoft Surface Pro 3, describes the new tablet as "the thinnest Intel Core product ever made". The iPad Air is lighter than the Surface Pro 3 weighing 469g and 800g for the Surface Pro 3. The Surface 3 claims 9.1mm thickness and iPad is 7.5mm thick.
Apple's iPad Air runs on iOS 7, while Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 runs Windows 8.1, which provides access to more powerful applications like the touch optimised version of Photoshop CC, Adobe products and Microsoft's Office applications. These applications are also available in iPad Air but unfortunately, they are not designed as the apps designed for laptops and desktops which the Surface is capable of running.
A kickstand is able to stop and support the Surface Pro 3 firmly throughout its range of motion, making it easy to use in a way like laptop or tablet. Also, it comes with a different stylus which looks like a natural pen and is able to produce some of the best on screen writing. While the iPad Air is only a tablet.
The 64GB Surface Pro 3 is priced at $799 and the 64GB iPad Air costs $699 (WiFi Only). 128GB WiFi is provided with $799 iPad Air and a 128GB Surface Pro 3 for $999.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage