All You Need to Know About Surface Pro 3 as Compared to iPad Air
By Naveena Joy | May 26, 2014 8:17 AM EST
Microsoft has announced its new tablet Surface Pro 3 which promises to feature high end specs as a possible subsitute for laptops. It is considered to be lighter, faster and stronger. It follows a design framework that combines the features of a laptop and a tablet.
Another product that compares itself to a laptop replacement is Apple's iPad Air. Though it is yet to get launched, there are certain speculations by which both iPad Air and Surface Pro 3 can be compared.
The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 has a 12.1 inch screen and is bigger as compared to that of iPad Air's 9.7 inch display. It has a resolution of 2160 x 1440, while the iPad Air has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. The iPad Air comes with 264ppi pixel density as compared to 216ppi of Surface 3 but the advantage here is to work with a larger surface.
The Surface Pro 3 has clean and clear internals without jamming it up to overflow with unwanted kits. There is a choice between models that come with Intel Core i3, Core i5 or Core i7 processors and if we compare with iPad Air, the Apple built A7 processor is standard in all models.
The iPad Air has 1GB of RAM while Microsoft Surface Pro 3 has two options of 4GB or 8GB RAM, designed for powerful tasks. It has also four different capacities like the iPad Air, but the Surface 3 starts at 64GB and an option to go up to 512GB and iPad Air starts at 16GB.
Panay, the voice of Microsoft Surface Pro 3, describes the new tablet as "the thinnest Intel Core product ever made". The iPad Air is lighter than the Surface Pro 3 weighing 469g and 800g for the Surface Pro 3. The Surface 3 claims 9.1mm thickness and iPad is 7.5mm thick.
Apple's iPad Air runs on iOS 7, while Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 runs Windows 8.1, which provides access to more powerful applications like the touch optimised version of Photoshop CC, Adobe products and Microsoft's Office applications. These applications are also available in iPad Air but unfortunately, they are not designed as the apps designed for laptops and desktops which the Surface is capable of running.
A kickstand is able to stop and support the Surface Pro 3 firmly throughout its range of motion, making it easy to use in a way like laptop or tablet. Also, it comes with a different stylus which looks like a natural pen and is able to produce some of the best on screen writing. While the iPad Air is only a tablet.
The 64GB Surface Pro 3 is priced at $799 and the 64GB iPad Air costs $699 (WiFi Only). 128GB WiFi is provided with $799 iPad Air and a 128GB Surface Pro 3 for $999.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- The Release of Xperia Z3 is Nearing Sony Slashes Price of the Xperia Z2 by $200
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues