China’s State Broadcaster CCTV Falls for April Fool’s Joke of Richard Branson that Virgin Atlantic Will Begin a Glass-Bottomed Plane Service
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 26, 2014 7:53 AM EST
The joke was that Virgin would begin a glass-bottomed plane service which CCTV reported at World Express, its nightly news program. But Chinese Internet users immediately noticed the joke and corrected CCTV, so that by Wednesday the broadcaster removed the video clip from its Web site.
The joke said Virgin Atlantic would start servicing the London and Scotland route using its supposed-to-be first glass-bottomed planes which would be aviation-grade glass. CCTV also included the photos of the so-called glass-bottomed jet in its broadcast which added to credibility of the joke.
Branson said in Virgin's Web site that "Im thrilled to announce that Virgin has created another world-first with the introduction of the technology required to produce the worlds first glass-bottomed plane. This technological innovation coincides with the start of Virgin Atlantic Airways first ever domestic service to Scotland."
He said the glass-bottomed plane would allow passengers to appreciate the beauty of the British landscape and provide Scottish tourism an even bigger boost.
Beijing journalism professor Zhan Jiang opined that CCTV aired the news to spice up its programming for ratings, but possibly failed to check the source of the information.
CCTV had in the past been a victim of hoax news such as when The Onion, a U.S. satirical Web site, said in November 2013 that North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un is the sexiest man alive and the Chinese state media fell for it, resulting in several newspapers in China running the news, including People's Daily, the flagship of the Communist Party.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments