NBA Betting Odds and Trends–West Finals Prediction: OKC Fights Back, to Take Game 3 Easily
By James Patrick Quizon | May 26, 2014 12:02 AM EST
The San Antonio Spurs have completely dismantled the Oklahoma City Thunder in the first two games of the Western Conference Finals averaging a margin of victory of 26.0 points. So why are the Thunder the slight favourites in Game 3 pegged chalked at 2.5 points?
May 21, 2014; San Antonio, TX, USA; Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (35) and San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard (2) chase down a loose ball in game two of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at AT&T Center.
Could it be because of the reports that Serge Ibaka, who suffered a calf injury in Game 6 of their previous series versus the Los Angeles Clippers, will be returning in Game 3?
Ibaka himself admitted that even with him the Thunder could have been outplayed by the Spurs in San Antonio.
"I've been hearing a lot of people saying my team lost two games because I was out," Ibaka said in an NBA.com article. "That's not true. I believe in my guys. I believe in my teammates. They can be better with me or without me. It's no excuse because Serge Ibaka was not there. Just San Antonio, the first two games, they played better basketball."
Ibaka’s status is still up on the air pending the team doctors’ decision.
For OKC to beat the Texas team featuring veterans Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili plus young gun Kawhi Leonard, they should play better defensively than what they showed in the first two games where the Spurs dropped 108.5 points per game.
Betting Lines: San Antonio Spurs (+2.5) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (Over/Under: 208.5)
Game time: 10:30 am AEDT (May 26, Monday)
Betting Against the Spread (ATS)
San Antonio Spurs Trends
- The Spurs are 7-1 ATS in their last 8 games
- The Spurs are 3-10-1 ATS in their last 14 games vs. the Thunder
- The Spurs are 0-7 ATS in their last 7 games vs. the Thunder in Oklahoma City
- The Spurs are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games in the West Finals
- The Spurs are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games after a win
Oklahoma City Thunder Trends
- The Thunder are 3-1-1 ATS in their last 5 games after an ATS loss
- The Thunder are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 games after a loss
- The Thunder are 7-0 ATS in their last 7 games vs. the Spurs in Oklahoma City
- The Thunder are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after a 3-day rest
- The Thunder are 10-3-1 ATS in their last 14 games vs. the Spurs
Can Kevin Durant (6-of-16 FG for 15 points) and Russell Westbrook (7-of-24 FG for 15 points) score efficiently in Game 3? Can OKC find other contributors to negate San Antonio’s balanced scoring?
With or without Ibaka, can the Thunder slow down the Spurs which shot over 50 per cent from the field in the first two outings?
Prediction: Finally, an inspired and confident Thunder will play well for four quarters. After all, they have the MVP (not Durant’s mom) and an explosive scorer. Both should go off in Game 3 while the Spurs relaxes a bit and settles to just go for the win in the next game… Oklahoma City Thunder 104, San Antonio Spurs 81.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More