Google’s 'Voice Search' Feature Now Available for All Chrome Users; 'Undo Tab Close' Option Added
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 24, 2014 12:31 PM EST
Google Inc's hands-free "OK Google" voice search is now part of the latest release of the Chrome browser i.e. version 35. The search giant introduced this feature via its official Google+ post on Wednesday.
The Google logo is seen on a door at the company's office in Tel Aviv Jan. 26, 2011.
Apple is the pioneer in introducing the hands-free assistance concept in smartphones with the help of Siri. Nevertheless, this virtual personal assistant is not without its flaws. The other competitors for Siri include Google Now and the recently unveiled Microsoft's sophisticated Cortana.
'Voice Search' Option
It is worth noting that, the search giant released a Chrome browser plugin for OS X and Windows towards the end of 2013. This plugin brought in the capability to perform hands-free Google search by speaking the now-famous wordage "OK Google" to Google.com. But now the company went ahead and added this feature as an in-built option for Chrome browser users.
This 'search by voice' option is being rolled out to all the Chrome users who are using the latest version of Chrome browser in their devices, says Google. This update will be rolled out to 'English (U.S.)' users on Windows, Mac, Android and Linux.
The hand-free voice search option in Google Chrome will allow users to perform search with the help of the 'OK Google' voice command, followed by a search string or a query. Other than searching for answers, users can also set timers and add reminders, among others. The official post also gave a glimpse of how to perform a voice search using the hand-free 'Ok Google' option.
To enable this option, open Google.com and click on the 'microphone' icon to the right of the search box, and then click on "Enable Ok Google."
To perform voice search: Speak out, "Ok Google, What is Googolplex?"
To set a timer: Say "Ok Google, set a timer for 15 minutes."
'Undo Tab Close' Option
Other than this voice search feature, the new Chrome 35 for Android also brought in the much-required and most-missed feature 'Undo Tab Close'. In addition, Google's change log lists full-screen video with subtitles, HTML5 controls, support for multi-window devices, and other bug fixes as part of the release. Also note, this update bundled in Chrome 35.0.1916.122 version is now available in Google Play Store.
Interested readers can download the Chrome app from Google Play.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes