Shailene Woodley on ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ Movie: ‘I wanted to do this movie because the book changed my life’
By Maychelle Ornos | May 24, 2014 7:20 AM EST
Based on John Green's 2012 best-selling novel of the same name, "The Fault In Our Stars" will premiere on the big screen on June 6 starring "Divergent" stars Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. A "one sick love story," the movie follows the journey of a 16-year-old girl, Hazel Grace Lancaster, with stage IV thyroid cancer who fell in love with a 17-year-old boy, Augustus "Gus" Waters, who lost his leg to osteosarcoma.
A deeply emotional love story, "The Fault In Our Stars" is the second big movie of the rising star Shailene Woodley after the release of "Divergent." "This movie is incredibly sad and incredibly heartbreaking, but it's so celebratory," says 22-year-old star in an interview with ABC News. "It celebrates life."
Best known for her role in ABC's family series, "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," Woodley has a string of successes including the 2011's "The Descendants" and indie hit "Spectacular Now." Now that she made a name for herself, the outspoken actress revealed that she didn't take the project so she can prove to fans that she can act.
"I didn't want to do this movie so I could be like, 'look how I can cry as an actor, look what I can do,'" the actress said. "I wanted to do this movie because the book changed my life."
Like Woodley who was deeply moved by Hazel Grace's story, Laura Dern who plays Woodley's mother revealed that she fell in love with the character. "You can't help but fall in love with her, but you can also relate to her longing for love, to feeling, as she says, that she's a grenade and her job is to protect everybody else from her so they don't get hurt," says Dern.
The actress also revealed that she wanted to honor Green's work, the reason why she took the role and because the author captured the voice of the present generation. According to her, the book is not just for young adults but an important book for any adult.
"The Fault In Our Stars" will premiere in theaters on June 6.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones