Miranda Kerr’s First Year Anniversary as Ambassador for Kids Helpline Australia
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 23, 2014 7:29 PM EST
The year 2014 marks Miranda Kerr's first year anniversary as ambassador for Kids Helpline Australia.
Kids Helpline is Australia's only free counseling service online that offers services to young children aged 5 up to adult aged 25. The organisation has been operating for more than 20 years now since its inception in March 1991. Counsellors reportedly responds to call daily regarding issues about sexual abuse, relationship problems, suicidal thoughts, and alcoholism among several other life issues. Since 1991, Kids Helpline has answered more than "six million phone calls and online contacts," as stated on its official Web site.
On May 21, Kerr tweeted:
Kerr was named Kids Helpline Australia's ambassador in February 2013. Speaking to media reporters via Sunshinecoastdaily.com.au, Kerr said that a "tragedy" in her family where one of her younger cousins committed suicide played a big role that made her accept the responsibility as the charity ambassador.
"It's important they have someone to turn to for advice that will help them grow and flourish into little human beings," said Kerr. "I have a voice now, and it's important for me, personally, to use that in a positive way," Kerr added.
"I want every child in Australia to know that there is someone who will listen to them, someone who can talk to them, no matter how big or small the issue."
Celebrities like Kerr can certainly use her own status in the society to influence people. Kerr has done ample charity work. According to Looktothestars.org, Kerr is involved in four charitable organisations and 12 charitable causes. She supports Children International, Red Cross, Virgin Unite, and Wildlife Warriors Worldwide. The causes she supports include adoption, AIDS & HIV, children, environment, health, and animals' relief to name a few. Kerr recently donated $100,000 to an elephant charity in Thailand, Vogue.com.au reported. The money that Kerr contributed will be used to fund a hospital for baby elephants.
There are tons of kind-hearted celebrities and Kerr is one of them, who allots time and money for great causes.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery