Southeast Australia Sizzles in Fall Heatwave as Winter Approaches
By Reissa Su | May 23, 2014 7:00 PM EST
Southeast Australia continues to sizzle as temperatures continue to rise despite winter's fast approach. For the 13th consecutive day in May, Melbourne continued to experience temperatures of more than 20 degrees on May 23. The current heatwave has broken the original record of a 10-day streak in 1972.
REUTERS/South Australian Polic
A South Australian policeman offers a drink of water to a koala at the side of the road near Christies Beach on the outskirts of Adelaide, in this handout picture taken January 16, 2014. REUTERS/South Australian Police/Handout via Reuters
Adelaide recorded a temperature of 21 degrees Celsius as it stays on track to beat its own record. Syndey is on its 14th consecutive day of experiencing temperatures above 22C, beating its own 9-day records in 1978 and 2007. The Bureau of Meteorology has forecast temperatures of more than 22C in Australia's most populated state for the next seven days.
The heatwave in the fall has been linked to a slow-moving high pressure system in the Tasman sea and the movement of northerly winds.
Climate scientists have predicted in the latest UN climate change report that Australia will get hotter. According to the UN climate change report, the world will become 2 degrees Celsius warmer.
More heatwaves and bushfires could result in great economic losses as global warming prolongs drought and lowers crop yields. The "irreversible" damage due to climate change will cause economic shocks, and the subsequent severe poverty may lead to mass migration. The risk of violence may increase from protests triggered by international or civil conflicts.
The rise in temperatures worldwide may cause the wipeout of entire ecosystems. The rise in global temperature would mean the potential widespread and permanent damage to Australia's coral reef systems, specifically the Great Barrier Reef and Ningaloo in Western Australia.
The report warned that some species native to Australia may disappear. The continued rise in global temperature could increase the frequency of flooding which will cause damage to infrastructures. Some low-lying areas may be swallowed by rising sea levels. Extreme weather conditions may affect the quality of Australia's drinking water.
The Bureau of Meteorology previously declared 2013 the hottest year on record with average temperatures at 1.20 degrees Celsius higher than the long term average of 21.8C. The hottest day for Australia was recorded on Jan 7, 2013. In the same month, Australia recorded its hottest week and hottest month since records began in 1910.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports