The Story Behind How Ariana Grande Made “Problem” the Song of the Summer
By Riza Ornos | May 23, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Released by Republic Records on April 28, Ariana Grande's "Problem" is an instant hit selling 438,000 copies in its first week. Featuring Australian rapper Iggy Azalea, Grande's sax-driven, 1990's-throwback-R&B jam was the fourth-largest debut week of a woman, and the biggest-ever debut for an artist under 21 and for that "Problem" according to RollingStone is the song of the summer.
Best known for her role as Cat Valentine in Nickelodeon's "Sam & Cat," the 20-year-old star was already a superstar before "Problem," but the song became her highest charting single in the U.S. to date. Now under the wings of Republic Records, the petite power vocalist has more freedom that reflected on her 2013 album, "Yours Truly."
Although the album did not stay on the charts for long, it made a huge impact to Grande's singing career that grabbed the attention of one of the most successful producer-songwriter for the past 20 years. Max Martin, music industry's respected producer has worked with everyone from Britney Spears and Bon Jovi to Taylor Swift to Maroon 5.
Finally after two years of trying to work with Martin, Grande got her wish when he agreed to work with her thanks to Martin's young daughter.
"He has a young daughter that's a huge Ariana fan," says Wendy Goldstein, Grande's A&R rep at Republic in an interview with RollingStone. "He said, 'I've never seen my daughter excited about someone that I've worked with, and that's really saying something.'"
The Florida native diva was confused at first by "Problem's" muted chorus because she is used of belting it out in the middle. But all risks was paid off as it shot to Number One on the iTunes chart in 37 minutes after it was released. Scheduled to be released later this year, "Problem" is the carrier single of Ariana's still-untitled second album.
Meanwhile, Ariana and Justin Bieber's collaboration didn't make the cut for the singer's album. Fans of both singers are patiently waiting for the highly-anticipated song it seems that they have to wait a little bit longer.
"I don't know! it's hard because, I feel like, I love the song and it's amazing but we have to find the right time to put it out," Ariana explains in an interview posted on Inquisitr.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS