The Story Behind How Ariana Grande Made “Problem” the Song of the Summer
By Riza Ornos | May 23, 2014 6:27 PM EST
Released by Republic Records on April 28, Ariana Grande's "Problem" is an instant hit selling 438,000 copies in its first week. Featuring Australian rapper Iggy Azalea, Grande's sax-driven, 1990's-throwback-R&B jam was the fourth-largest debut week of a woman, and the biggest-ever debut for an artist under 21 and for that "Problem" according to RollingStone is the song of the summer.
Best known for her role as Cat Valentine in Nickelodeon's "Sam & Cat," the 20-year-old star was already a superstar before "Problem," but the song became her highest charting single in the U.S. to date. Now under the wings of Republic Records, the petite power vocalist has more freedom that reflected on her 2013 album, "Yours Truly."
Although the album did not stay on the charts for long, it made a huge impact to Grande's singing career that grabbed the attention of one of the most successful producer-songwriter for the past 20 years. Max Martin, music industry's respected producer has worked with everyone from Britney Spears and Bon Jovi to Taylor Swift to Maroon 5.
Finally after two years of trying to work with Martin, Grande got her wish when he agreed to work with her thanks to Martin's young daughter.
"He has a young daughter that's a huge Ariana fan," says Wendy Goldstein, Grande's A&R rep at Republic in an interview with RollingStone. "He said, 'I've never seen my daughter excited about someone that I've worked with, and that's really saying something.'"
The Florida native diva was confused at first by "Problem's" muted chorus because she is used of belting it out in the middle. But all risks was paid off as it shot to Number One on the iTunes chart in 37 minutes after it was released. Scheduled to be released later this year, "Problem" is the carrier single of Ariana's still-untitled second album.
Meanwhile, Ariana and Justin Bieber's collaboration didn't make the cut for the singer's album. Fans of both singers are patiently waiting for the highly-anticipated song it seems that they have to wait a little bit longer.
"I don't know! it's hard because, I feel like, I love the song and it's amazing but we have to find the right time to put it out," Ariana explains in an interview posted on Inquisitr.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon