Paul McCartney's Condition Worsened after Mystery Virus Forces Tour Cancellation
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 23, 2014 6:16 PM EST
After reports surfaced that Sir Paul McCartney was rushed to a hospital in Japan after being struck down with a virus, recent reports from Sankei Sports, a Japanese newspaper, state that his condition has worsened and he is still in a Tokyo Hospital.
Singer Paul McCartney reacts during an impromptu concert to promote his album "New" at Covent Garden in London October 18, 2013. REUTERS/Philip Brown
Sir Paul, who has always been an advocate of a healthy lifestyle, is a vegetarian who also practises yoga and meditation. He is being treated at Tokyo's St Luke's International Hospital, with third wife Nancy, at his bedside.
The legendary musician and former member of The Beatles, was forced to cancel his entire Japanese tour earlier this week. McCartney is now 71 years old but is still actively performing in sold-out shows worldwide. He had flown in to Japan after a successful sold-out tour of South America.
The Beatles legend was forced to scrap his entire Japanese tour as he continued to battle with the viral infection and released a statement apologising to fans.
"I was really looking forward to playing in Japan again after we had such an amazing time here in November. So to cancel these shows as well as the National Stadium shows is hugely disappointing for me as well. I'd like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding. I hope to see you all again soon. Love, Paul."
A statement was released soon after news of his illness broke out and indicated that he was on his way to recovery.
"Since contracting a virus last week that led to the postponement of tour dates, Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo. He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days' rest. Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world."
"Paul McCartney will regrettably have to cancel the remaining Japanese shows. Paul is still not feeling better and this cancelation is unavoidable. He was hoping to be better but the doctors have ordered him complete rest. Paul has been extremely moved by the messages from his fans and is upset to be letting them down," said a further statement posted by his team.
It was reported this week that McCartney was still due to perform his show in Seoul on May 28 although it is not known if this will now be cancelled. His team is hopeful that the American leg of the tour will still go ahead as scheduled - starting in Lubbock, Texas, on June 14 followed by 18 more US gigs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop