Google Inc. Topples Apple Inc. as Top Holding and World’s Most Valuable Brand
By Athena Yenko | May 23, 2014 3:42 PM EST
Google landed at number one due to decreased competition among top holdings.
Google Inc had also overtaken Apple Inc as world's most valuable brand in the 2014 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brand ranking.
The company is now worth $159 billion with 40 per cent increase year-per-year.
Apple Inc. slid at number two due to a 20 per cent decline in brand value to $148 billion, and while it remained as a top performing brand, it failed to introduce significant new products.
"Google has been hugely innovative in the last year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a multitude of partnerships that see its Android operating system becoming embedded in other goods such as cars. All of this activity sends a very strong signal to consumers about what Google is about and it has coincided with a slowdown at Apple," Nick Cooper, managing director of Millward Brown Optimor, said in a statement.
The BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands is the only ranking that uses the views of potential and current buyers of a brand, alongside financial data, to calculate brand value.
"This year's index highlights the end of the recession, with a strong recovery in valuations and, for the first time, real growth across every category and the Top 100 as a whole. What's remarkable is the way that strong brands have led the recovery. Seventy-one of the brands listed in our 2014 Top 100 were there in 2008. Despite the financial turmoil and the digital disruption that have decimated many businesses during the last few years, these brands have remained in the ranking, proving the durability of strong brands," David Roth, CEO of The Store, added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health