Google Inc. Topples Apple Inc. as Top Holding and World’s Most Valuable Brand
By Athena Yenko | May 23, 2014 3:42 PM EST
Google landed at number one due to decreased competition among top holdings.
Google Inc had also overtaken Apple Inc as world's most valuable brand in the 2014 BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brand ranking.
The company is now worth $159 billion with 40 per cent increase year-per-year.
Apple Inc. slid at number two due to a 20 per cent decline in brand value to $148 billion, and while it remained as a top performing brand, it failed to introduce significant new products.
"Google has been hugely innovative in the last year with Google Glass, investments in artificial intelligence and a multitude of partnerships that see its Android operating system becoming embedded in other goods such as cars. All of this activity sends a very strong signal to consumers about what Google is about and it has coincided with a slowdown at Apple," Nick Cooper, managing director of Millward Brown Optimor, said in a statement.
The BrandZ Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands is the only ranking that uses the views of potential and current buyers of a brand, alongside financial data, to calculate brand value.
"This year's index highlights the end of the recession, with a strong recovery in valuations and, for the first time, real growth across every category and the Top 100 as a whole. What's remarkable is the way that strong brands have led the recovery. Seventy-one of the brands listed in our 2014 Top 100 were there in 2008. Despite the financial turmoil and the digital disruption that have decimated many businesses during the last few years, these brands have remained in the ranking, proving the durability of strong brands," David Roth, CEO of The Store, added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock EPS Raised to $7.67 Per Share; Apple Pay Could Be Promising in Australia
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date