Canada Post Reports 1Q 2014 Loss of $27M
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 23, 2014 3:40 PM EST
Bludgeoned by declining transaction mail volumes, Canada Post on Thursday reported a before-tax loss of $27 million for the first quarter of 2014.
It said the volumes of letters, bills and statements being sent through mail dropped 6.9 per cent in the quarter, while parcel volumes jumped 4.9 per cent.
A Canada Post employee delivers mail in Ottawa December 11, 2013. Canada's postal service will phase out urban home delivery within five years and hike the cost of postage stamps to try to stem soaring losses, the post office said on Wednesday. REUTERS/Chris Wattie
It losses for the first quarter of 2014 may have actually been bigger had it not been for the sale of its processing plant in downtown Vancouver.
The sale of the plant factored in a $109 million gain for Canada Post. It would have reported a loss before tax of $58 million in the first quarter if not for the sale of the processing plant.
Canada Post's parcel revenue in the first quarter of 2014 grew to $23 million, or 7.1 per cent. Revenue in domestic parcels, the largest product category, jumped by $14 million. Volumes grew by 4.9 per cent or more than 1.2 million pieces versus a year ago.
Revenue from transaction mail dropped 6 per cent or by $50 million as volumes plummeted by 79 million pieces or 6.9 per cent.
In December 2013, Canada Post announced a Five-Point Action Plan that will help it reduce costs significantly to achieve sustained financial self-sufficiency.
"The five initiatives are: to convert roughly five million households with delivery at the door to community mailbox delivery over five years; to adopt a new approach to Lettermail pricing; to expand the convenience of the retail network; to streamline operations; and to address the cost of labour."
In March, Canada Post raised the prices of stamps which it said it hoped will help recover some of those losses in the second quarter.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase