Interactive Chart Reveals the Greatest Singer Based on Vocal Range - Axl Rose Tops the List
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 23, 2014 3:39 PM EST
ConcertHotels.com has presented an interactive chart listing down the recorded vocal ranges of the world's most popular singers. The chart exhibits the vocalists' ranges that were recorded, including the songs in which the vocalists hit their lowest and highest notes.
Music lovers and fans alike will come to a never-ending dispute when the topic of "who's the greatest singer of all time" is brought up. Everyone has their own subjective and objective view in determining the greatest vocalist there ever was. But the ConcertHotels team made a more extensive research to compare the ranges of the world's most famous singing artists.
ConcertHotels took their list of vocalists from Rolling Stone's list of 100 greatest singers of all time, and also adding some new contemporary artists recently nominated for Billboard Music Award's top male and female artists of 2014. The team also sought help from The Range Place to have each singer's vocal abilities, which was sorted by the lowest or highest note range.
The list included older artists like Bob Marley, Barry White, Neil Young, Nina Simone, and Lou Reed. While modern-day artists include Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Eminem, Miley Cyrus, Christina Aguilera, and Beyonce.
According to ConcertHotels, Guns N' Roses' frontman Axl Rose tops the list for having the greatest vocal range covering five octaves, reaching one on the lowest up to one of the highest notes. Rose had the range from F1 to Bb6. He was followed second place by the female artist with the greatest range, Mariah Carey. She sings her lowest key of F2 in the song "Sweetheart," then reaching her highest of G7 in "Emotions."
The list also revealed many interesting information about the other great artists. Tom Waits' "gargling" and husky vocals has a wider range than Taylor Swift, Stevie Nicks, and Bjork. Eminem and Lou Reed have the exact same vocal range of D2 to F5.
"Lorde's G#2-G#5 range beats out the likes of Whitney Houston, Adele, and Katy Perry," posted ultimateGuitar.com
There are many fans who disagreed with some parts of the list. Others were asking for more artists who didn't make the list like Minnie Ripperton, Freddie Mercury, Ella Fitzgerald, Rob Halford, and King Diamond.
View the list below for ConcertHotels' vocal ranges of "The World's Greatest Singers."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine