Interactive Chart Reveals the Greatest Singer Based on Vocal Range - Axl Rose Tops the List
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 23, 2014 3:39 PM EST
ConcertHotels.com has presented an interactive chart listing down the recorded vocal ranges of the world's most popular singers. The chart exhibits the vocalists' ranges that were recorded, including the songs in which the vocalists hit their lowest and highest notes.
Music lovers and fans alike will come to a never-ending dispute when the topic of "who's the greatest singer of all time" is brought up. Everyone has their own subjective and objective view in determining the greatest vocalist there ever was. But the ConcertHotels team made a more extensive research to compare the ranges of the world's most famous singing artists.
ConcertHotels took their list of vocalists from Rolling Stone's list of 100 greatest singers of all time, and also adding some new contemporary artists recently nominated for Billboard Music Award's top male and female artists of 2014. The team also sought help from The Range Place to have each singer's vocal abilities, which was sorted by the lowest or highest note range.
The list included older artists like Bob Marley, Barry White, Neil Young, Nina Simone, and Lou Reed. While modern-day artists include Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Eminem, Miley Cyrus, Christina Aguilera, and Beyonce.
According to ConcertHotels, Guns N' Roses' frontman Axl Rose tops the list for having the greatest vocal range covering five octaves, reaching one on the lowest up to one of the highest notes. Rose had the range from F1 to Bb6. He was followed second place by the female artist with the greatest range, Mariah Carey. She sings her lowest key of F2 in the song "Sweetheart," then reaching her highest of G7 in "Emotions."
The list also revealed many interesting information about the other great artists. Tom Waits' "gargling" and husky vocals has a wider range than Taylor Swift, Stevie Nicks, and Bjork. Eminem and Lou Reed have the exact same vocal range of D2 to F5.
"Lorde's G#2-G#5 range beats out the likes of Whitney Houston, Adele, and Katy Perry," posted ultimateGuitar.com
There are many fans who disagreed with some parts of the list. Others were asking for more artists who didn't make the list like Minnie Ripperton, Freddie Mercury, Ella Fitzgerald, Rob Halford, and King Diamond.
View the list below for ConcertHotels' vocal ranges of "The World's Greatest Singers."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues