Samsung Virtual Reality Headset To Compete With The Oculus Rift
By Tanya Diente | May 23, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Samsung has the future in its sight and looks to join the virtual reality race. With Facebook recently acquiring the Oculus Rift, and Sony with their Project Morpheus coming along, the virtual reality market is definitely here to stay.
This virtual reality headset however, is not to be confused with the Gear Glass, rumored to be Samsung's competitor to the Google Glass. Sources have confirmed that most major game and app developers are already working with early versions of the headset. While the development models are currently being powered by the latest Samsung flagship devices, like the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy S5, the consumer model of Samsung's virtual reality headset will be powered by yet un-announced Galaxy devices.
Samsung's virtual reality headset connection to android devices is not yet clearly described. But given the need for the visual feedback to be as real time with minimal or no lag, using a wired connection would be the likely approach. Also, it would most likely use an OLED display like that of the Oculus Rift. Also how its movement and orientation will be tracked still remains to be seen.
Samsung is certainly no stranger to the virtual reality concept according to Venture Beat. The Oculus Rift development kit models are said to have been manufactured using Samsung components. With the demand for a more immersive form of entertainment in today's market, and since no other company has yet scheduled a release date for their virtual reality headset, Samsung clearly wants to be the first to release its virtual reality headset that is already market ready.
Samsung is capable of meeting the demand for production of the parts and components needed for the virtual reality headset. With their manufacturing and supply chain infrastructure, it is most likely going steam ahead of the competition, and release a consumer model way before Facebook or Sony.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories