Samsung Virtual Reality Headset To Compete With The Oculus Rift
By Tanya Diente | May 23, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Samsung has the future in its sight and looks to join the virtual reality race. With Facebook recently acquiring the Oculus Rift, and Sony with their Project Morpheus coming along, the virtual reality market is definitely here to stay.
This virtual reality headset however, is not to be confused with the Gear Glass, rumored to be Samsung's competitor to the Google Glass. Sources have confirmed that most major game and app developers are already working with early versions of the headset. While the development models are currently being powered by the latest Samsung flagship devices, like the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy S5, the consumer model of Samsung's virtual reality headset will be powered by yet un-announced Galaxy devices.
Samsung's virtual reality headset connection to android devices is not yet clearly described. But given the need for the visual feedback to be as real time with minimal or no lag, using a wired connection would be the likely approach. Also, it would most likely use an OLED display like that of the Oculus Rift. Also how its movement and orientation will be tracked still remains to be seen.
Samsung is certainly no stranger to the virtual reality concept according to Venture Beat. The Oculus Rift development kit models are said to have been manufactured using Samsung components. With the demand for a more immersive form of entertainment in today's market, and since no other company has yet scheduled a release date for their virtual reality headset, Samsung clearly wants to be the first to release its virtual reality headset that is already market ready.
Samsung is capable of meeting the demand for production of the parts and components needed for the virtual reality headset. With their manufacturing and supply chain infrastructure, it is most likely going steam ahead of the competition, and release a consumer model way before Facebook or Sony.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire News: Meet Professor Birch Plus X and Y Updates
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition: Flemeth, Tallis, the Warden and Champion of Kirkwall Possible Appearances
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People