Caroline Wozniacki-Rory McIlroy Split: Wozniacki Floods Twitter
By Tanya Diente | May 23, 2014 3:21 PM EST
Caroline Wozniacki, the Danish tennis player, has finally broken her short silence regarding her split from golfer Rory McIlroy.
Wozniacki, according to Telegraph, is in pain after her fiancé McIlroy broke off their engagement just days after the invitations were sent out. She took to her Twitter account and expressed her sadness over the circumstance to her 614,000 Twitter followers.
It's a hard time for me right now.Thanks for all the sweet messages!Happy I support Liverpool right now because I know I'll never walk alone
— Caroline Wozniacki (@CaroWozniacki) May 22, 2014
The 23-year old Liverpool supporter, who hails from Monaco, added in her Twitter account, that she is happy she supports Liverpool right now, because she knows that she will never walk alone (referring to the club's anthem, "You'll never walk alone"). Fellow tennis player and world's number one Serena Williams tweeted back her support to Wozniacki. "I'll always walk with you."
Wozniacki and McIlroy started dating in 2011 according to Telegraph. This was shortly after McIlroy won the US Open, which was his first major win, and when Wozniacki was number one in the world. McIlroy on the other hand became number one in the world in 2012. However both athletes suffered a dip in form and Wozniacki is now number 14 in the world while McIlroy is at number 10.
Caroline Wozniacki's relationship with Rory McIlroy was very public and followers saw the couple as very much inloved. That's why they were shocked when they heard the news of the breakup. While fans were vying for the couple to settle down, others were quick to speculate. This includes former tennis player Chris Evert, who according to Telegraph, claimed to not have been surprised by the couple's separation.
Wozniacki dealt with the split in just 24 hours according to USA Today. Shortly after McIlroy announced their "mutual" separation after two years of relationship, Wozniacki went ahead and changed her Twitter avatar and even her Twitter profile. Initially, her avatar showed a picture of her and McIlroy giving each other highfives (photo). Now she changed it to her solo picture (photo). LIkewise, Wozniacki's profile used to say "Fiancee, daughter, sister, tennisplayer. Mother to our dog Bruno. Everywhere." Now she had removed the word "Fiancee" among the other descriptions.
Caroline Wozniacki has her fans to thank for their support during this hurtful time in her life. One of them is world's number one fellow tennis player Serena Williams.
“@serenawilliams: @CaroWozniacki I'll always walk with you.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia