Caroline Wozniacki-Rory McIlroy Split: Wozniacki Floods Twitter
By Tanya Diente | May 23, 2014 3:21 PM EST
Caroline Wozniacki, the Danish tennis player, has finally broken her short silence regarding her split from golfer Rory McIlroy.
Wozniacki, according to Telegraph, is in pain after her fiancé McIlroy broke off their engagement just days after the invitations were sent out. She took to her Twitter account and expressed her sadness over the circumstance to her 614,000 Twitter followers.
It's a hard time for me right now.Thanks for all the sweet messages!Happy I support Liverpool right now because I know I'll never walk alone
— Caroline Wozniacki (@CaroWozniacki) May 22, 2014
The 23-year old Liverpool supporter, who hails from Monaco, added in her Twitter account, that she is happy she supports Liverpool right now, because she knows that she will never walk alone (referring to the club's anthem, "You'll never walk alone"). Fellow tennis player and world's number one Serena Williams tweeted back her support to Wozniacki. "I'll always walk with you."
Wozniacki and McIlroy started dating in 2011 according to Telegraph. This was shortly after McIlroy won the US Open, which was his first major win, and when Wozniacki was number one in the world. McIlroy on the other hand became number one in the world in 2012. However both athletes suffered a dip in form and Wozniacki is now number 14 in the world while McIlroy is at number 10.
Caroline Wozniacki's relationship with Rory McIlroy was very public and followers saw the couple as very much inloved. That's why they were shocked when they heard the news of the breakup. While fans were vying for the couple to settle down, others were quick to speculate. This includes former tennis player Chris Evert, who according to Telegraph, claimed to not have been surprised by the couple's separation.
Wozniacki dealt with the split in just 24 hours according to USA Today. Shortly after McIlroy announced their "mutual" separation after two years of relationship, Wozniacki went ahead and changed her Twitter avatar and even her Twitter profile. Initially, her avatar showed a picture of her and McIlroy giving each other highfives (photo). Now she changed it to her solo picture (photo). LIkewise, Wozniacki's profile used to say "Fiancee, daughter, sister, tennisplayer. Mother to our dog Bruno. Everywhere." Now she had removed the word "Fiancee" among the other descriptions.
Caroline Wozniacki has her fans to thank for their support during this hurtful time in her life. One of them is world's number one fellow tennis player Serena Williams.
“@serenawilliams: @CaroWozniacki I'll always walk with you.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia