'Game Of Thrones' Season 4, Episode 8 Won't Air on Memorial Day Weekend (Spoilers)
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 23, 2014 2:40 PM EST
"Game of Thrones" really knows how to hit fans with terrible news and amazing ciff hangers. Everyone will have to wait to view the last three episodes of season 4 as the series takes a week off for Memorial Day weekend. For those outside the United States, Memorial Day is dedicated to the men and women who died in the service of their country. This holiday is celebrated on the final Monday of May and as an effect, HBO has decided to go on a "Memorial Day Break" from airing "Game of Thrones."
Perhaps one reason for the break is the historical performance of "Game of Thrones" episodes on Memorial Day weekend. Way back in season 2, HBO aired "Blackwater," the siege of King's Landing on Memorial Day Sunday and it didn't do as well as it should have done.
Episode 9 in previous seasons have always proved to be the ones with the big bang starting way back in season 1 with Ned Stark losing his head. Season 2's episode 9 was the battle of the Blackwater and the biggest one of all is season 3's Red Wedding? This year, as Americans go out of town to party, enjoy outdoor barbecues or do other outdoor activities on Memorial Day weekend, the rest of the world will be holding their breath. This season's episode 9 is entitled "Watchers on the Wall" an indication that the highlight would have to be the wildling invasion upon Castle Black.
Fans will have to wait eagerly for Season 4, Episode 8: 'The Mountain and the Viper' in which Tyrion's fate is decided through trial by combat. Tyrion has found an unlikely ally in Prince Oberyn of Dorne after his brother, Jamie Lannister has declared himself unfit to battle in a duel due to the loss of his right hand. His other option, his sell sword and friend Bronn, has been offered a lady to marry and possible lordship by Cersei, a price that Tyrion cannot match. Luckily for him, Prince Oberyn has a personal vendetta against "The Mountain," the man that Cersei has chosen to be her champion. He is the man believed to have raped and killed Oberyn's sister Princess Elia and her children many years ago when King's Landing was sacked during Robert Baratheon's Rebellion.
The popular HBO original series has already tied or broken series high viewership records this season alone with 7.2 million views for last week's episode prime time premiere. As the season comes to a close, interest is building up even more.
"Game of Thrones" season 4, episode 8 airs on June 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks