'Game Of Thrones' Season 4, Episode 8 Won't Air on Memorial Day Weekend (Spoilers)
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 23, 2014 2:40 PM EST
"Game of Thrones" really knows how to hit fans with terrible news and amazing ciff hangers. Everyone will have to wait to view the last three episodes of season 4 as the series takes a week off for Memorial Day weekend. For those outside the United States, Memorial Day is dedicated to the men and women who died in the service of their country. This holiday is celebrated on the final Monday of May and as an effect, HBO has decided to go on a "Memorial Day Break" from airing "Game of Thrones."
Perhaps one reason for the break is the historical performance of "Game of Thrones" episodes on Memorial Day weekend. Way back in season 2, HBO aired "Blackwater," the siege of King's Landing on Memorial Day Sunday and it didn't do as well as it should have done.
Episode 9 in previous seasons have always proved to be the ones with the big bang starting way back in season 1 with Ned Stark losing his head. Season 2's episode 9 was the battle of the Blackwater and the biggest one of all is season 3's Red Wedding? This year, as Americans go out of town to party, enjoy outdoor barbecues or do other outdoor activities on Memorial Day weekend, the rest of the world will be holding their breath. This season's episode 9 is entitled "Watchers on the Wall" an indication that the highlight would have to be the wildling invasion upon Castle Black.
Fans will have to wait eagerly for Season 4, Episode 8: 'The Mountain and the Viper' in which Tyrion's fate is decided through trial by combat. Tyrion has found an unlikely ally in Prince Oberyn of Dorne after his brother, Jamie Lannister has declared himself unfit to battle in a duel due to the loss of his right hand. His other option, his sell sword and friend Bronn, has been offered a lady to marry and possible lordship by Cersei, a price that Tyrion cannot match. Luckily for him, Prince Oberyn has a personal vendetta against "The Mountain," the man that Cersei has chosen to be her champion. He is the man believed to have raped and killed Oberyn's sister Princess Elia and her children many years ago when King's Landing was sacked during Robert Baratheon's Rebellion.
The popular HBO original series has already tied or broken series high viewership records this season alone with 7.2 million views for last week's episode prime time premiere. As the season comes to a close, interest is building up even more.
"Game of Thrones" season 4, episode 8 airs on June 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports