'Game Of Thrones' Season 4, Episode 8 Won't Air on Memorial Day Weekend (Spoilers)
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 23, 2014 2:40 PM EST
"Game of Thrones" really knows how to hit fans with terrible news and amazing ciff hangers. Everyone will have to wait to view the last three episodes of season 4 as the series takes a week off for Memorial Day weekend. For those outside the United States, Memorial Day is dedicated to the men and women who died in the service of their country. This holiday is celebrated on the final Monday of May and as an effect, HBO has decided to go on a "Memorial Day Break" from airing "Game of Thrones."
Perhaps one reason for the break is the historical performance of "Game of Thrones" episodes on Memorial Day weekend. Way back in season 2, HBO aired "Blackwater," the siege of King's Landing on Memorial Day Sunday and it didn't do as well as it should have done.
Episode 9 in previous seasons have always proved to be the ones with the big bang starting way back in season 1 with Ned Stark losing his head. Season 2's episode 9 was the battle of the Blackwater and the biggest one of all is season 3's Red Wedding? This year, as Americans go out of town to party, enjoy outdoor barbecues or do other outdoor activities on Memorial Day weekend, the rest of the world will be holding their breath. This season's episode 9 is entitled "Watchers on the Wall" an indication that the highlight would have to be the wildling invasion upon Castle Black.
Fans will have to wait eagerly for Season 4, Episode 8: 'The Mountain and the Viper' in which Tyrion's fate is decided through trial by combat. Tyrion has found an unlikely ally in Prince Oberyn of Dorne after his brother, Jamie Lannister has declared himself unfit to battle in a duel due to the loss of his right hand. His other option, his sell sword and friend Bronn, has been offered a lady to marry and possible lordship by Cersei, a price that Tyrion cannot match. Luckily for him, Prince Oberyn has a personal vendetta against "The Mountain," the man that Cersei has chosen to be her champion. He is the man believed to have raped and killed Oberyn's sister Princess Elia and her children many years ago when King's Landing was sacked during Robert Baratheon's Rebellion.
The popular HBO original series has already tied or broken series high viewership records this season alone with 7.2 million views for last week's episode prime time premiere. As the season comes to a close, interest is building up even more.
"Game of Thrones" season 4, episode 8 airs on June 1.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015