Facebook's New Audio Recognition Feature Can Listen to the User's Audios and Videos and Make it Public [VIDEO]
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 23, 2014 2:38 PM EST
Facebook launched on Wednesday a new optional feature that uses the the mobile device's microphone to listen and identify any music and video content being played when posting a status update. The new feature can be used without typing or saying a word.
A smartphone user shows the Facebook application on his phone in the central Bosnian town of Zenica, in this photo illustration, May 2, 2013.
Facebook's new feature is an opt-in audio recognition system that will be updated into mobile Facebook Apps in the few weeks to come. "The new feature will make it easier for users to say that they are watching a particular show or listening to a certain song, then share that information with their friends. Upon updating the Facebook app, users are presented with an explanation as to how the feature works, and are given the option to turn it on," posted appleinsider.
The new feature is connected to the "feelings and activities" function. Upon turning on the feature, an icon will appear on the screen which the user will tap to write a status update. Users will have the option to use or ignore the feature when it pops on the screen. Users can also choose to turn off the feature by simply tapping onto the top right of the screen.
Facebook friends can listen for a quick 30-second preview of any posted songs shared on the activity timeline. For TV shows, the new feature will be able to recognize the season and the episode. Unlike the songs embedded on the timeline, there won't be preview media for other friends to see.
Once the new feature rolls out on Facebook Apps for mobile, it will be automatically turned off so users will have the option to manually control it according to their liking.
Facebook says the new feature will be available in iOS and Android powered devices in the U.S. in the next few weeks.
CREDIT: Facebook PRO/Vimeo
A New, Optional Way to Share and Discover Music, TV and Movies from Facebook on Vimeo.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build