Source: Memphis’ Joerger to Minnesota Timberwolves Gaining Momentum
By James Patrick Quizon | May 23, 2014 12:49 PM EST
The dominos continue to fall in Memphis. First the front office, now the head coach, Dave Joerger who is reportedly close to being “traded” to the Minnesota Timberwolves.
May 3, 2014; Oklahoma City, OK, USA; Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol (33) loses the ball after being fouled by Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook (0) during the third quarter in game seven of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
According to an ESPN.com source, the Timberwolves camp has made “significant progress” in luring Joerger away from the Grizzlies. For the deal to be completed, Memphis will most likely throw in some future draft picks and/or cash to Memphis.
The trouble in Memphis is a bit surprising for the casual NBA observer; after all they are just coming off a 50-32 regular season and then pushed the Oklahoma City Thunder to seven games in their first round series in the Western Conference Playoffs.
According to the same report, Joerger has already met with Minnesota president of basketball operations Flip Saunders and scheduled to meet with Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor over the weekend. Joerger calls Minnesota his hometown and Saunders was his mentor before becoming an assistant coach/head coach with Memphis.
Last Monday, Grizzlies owner Robert Pera announced the firing of chief executive officer Jason Levien and assistant manager Stu Lash. The move was apparently more personal than for basketball reasons as the Memphis owner is mentioned in many articles trying to gain control over the team.
Should Joerger land in Minnesota, the change of scenery for the young coach would be very interesting; the Timberwolves were one of the worst defensive teams in the league in the 2013-2014 NBA regular season and conversely, the Grizzlies are one of the tops with a grind-it-out, tough defensive style that has made them successful over the last few years.
And if the deal is finalized bringing Joerger to the Timberwolves, he will also face the prospect of dealing with the Kevin Love drama. The Timberwolves franchise player will reportedly opt-out of his contract after 2015 and Minnesota is active in searching for deals before he hits free agency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand