Queen Touring Australia with Adam Lambert, Says Freddie Mercury ‘Would Love’ Him [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | May 23, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Legendary rock band Queen will be touring Australia with “American Idol” runner-up Adam Lambert, but not all Queen fans are ecstatic with the collaboration. The band has hit out at critics, saying the late Freddie Mercury would have loved the younger singer.
The British rock band announced their upcoming tour in Australia, as well as in North America and some parts of Asia, with guitarist Brian May announcing, “Let’s ROCK those beautiful arenas JUST ONE MORE TIME!”
The “Once in a Lifetime” tour takes its title from Lambert’s own quote when asked in a previous interview what his view on a chance to join the rockers for their tour was.
“I think the thing that’s special about this is that it is a limited thing. It’s this special engagement. It’s not like, ‘Now we’re to the grind.’ It’s a once-in-a-lifetime tour.”
There were concerns, however, that Lambert wouldn’t measure up to the iconic Mercury.
Drummer Roger Taylor was quick to dismiss the fans’ worries, though, saying that they could never replace the beloved band leader, who died of AIDS complications in 1991.
“That would be the wrong message. Adam Lambert is an independent artist. It fits us perfectly because he is so theatrical, a true diva. Freedie would love him.”
He added that Mercury is always in their thoughts.
“Every day, at least once. It is, for Brian and me, part of our lives and infrastructure. We stood together so closely for so many years.”
Lambert, who rose to fame after joining the eighth season of “American Idol,” is a long-time fan of Queen. During his audition for the show, he sang “Bohemian Rhapsody” in front of judges Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul.
Watch it here:
He also performed the same signature song with the band in 2012.
“I’m completely in awe of the Queen phenomenon,” he said. “The thought of sharing the stage for a full set in Australia is so beautifully surreal. I’m honoured to be able to pay my respects to Freddie’s memory; he’s a personal hero of mine, and I am deeply grateful for the chance to sing such powerful music for fans of this legendary band. I know this tour will be a huge milestone for me, and with the support of Brian, Roger and the rest of the band, I feel like magic will be on display.”
The Queen and Lamber’s “Once in a Lifetime” tour schedule:
August 22, Perth Arena
August 26, Allphones Arena (Sydney)
August 29, Rod Laver Arena (Melbourne)
September 1, Brisbane Entertainment Centre
For the North American tour dates, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales