Queen Touring Australia with Adam Lambert, Says Freddie Mercury ‘Would Love’ Him [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | May 23, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Legendary rock band Queen will be touring Australia with “American Idol” runner-up Adam Lambert, but not all Queen fans are ecstatic with the collaboration. The band has hit out at critics, saying the late Freddie Mercury would have loved the younger singer.
The British rock band announced their upcoming tour in Australia, as well as in North America and some parts of Asia, with guitarist Brian May announcing, “Let’s ROCK those beautiful arenas JUST ONE MORE TIME!”
The “Once in a Lifetime” tour takes its title from Lambert’s own quote when asked in a previous interview what his view on a chance to join the rockers for their tour was.
“I think the thing that’s special about this is that it is a limited thing. It’s this special engagement. It’s not like, ‘Now we’re to the grind.’ It’s a once-in-a-lifetime tour.”
There were concerns, however, that Lambert wouldn’t measure up to the iconic Mercury.
Drummer Roger Taylor was quick to dismiss the fans’ worries, though, saying that they could never replace the beloved band leader, who died of AIDS complications in 1991.
“That would be the wrong message. Adam Lambert is an independent artist. It fits us perfectly because he is so theatrical, a true diva. Freedie would love him.”
He added that Mercury is always in their thoughts.
“Every day, at least once. It is, for Brian and me, part of our lives and infrastructure. We stood together so closely for so many years.”
Lambert, who rose to fame after joining the eighth season of “American Idol,” is a long-time fan of Queen. During his audition for the show, he sang “Bohemian Rhapsody” in front of judges Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul.
Watch it here:
He also performed the same signature song with the band in 2012.
“I’m completely in awe of the Queen phenomenon,” he said. “The thought of sharing the stage for a full set in Australia is so beautifully surreal. I’m honoured to be able to pay my respects to Freddie’s memory; he’s a personal hero of mine, and I am deeply grateful for the chance to sing such powerful music for fans of this legendary band. I know this tour will be a huge milestone for me, and with the support of Brian, Roger and the rest of the band, I feel like magic will be on display.”
The Queen and Lamber’s “Once in a Lifetime” tour schedule:
August 22, Perth Arena
August 26, Allphones Arena (Sydney)
August 29, Rod Laver Arena (Melbourne)
September 1, Brisbane Entertainment Centre
For the North American tour dates, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- The Bachelor Update: Find Out if Juan Pablo and Nikki Ferrell Are Still With Each Other
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- American Horror Story Season 4 Freak Show to Feature Scariest Villain, Names of Season 4 Characters Revealed
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’