Queen Touring Australia with Adam Lambert, Says Freddie Mercury ‘Would Love’ Him [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | May 23, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Legendary rock band Queen will be touring Australia with “American Idol” runner-up Adam Lambert, but not all Queen fans are ecstatic with the collaboration. The band has hit out at critics, saying the late Freddie Mercury would have loved the younger singer.
The British rock band announced their upcoming tour in Australia, as well as in North America and some parts of Asia, with guitarist Brian May announcing, “Let’s ROCK those beautiful arenas JUST ONE MORE TIME!”
The “Once in a Lifetime” tour takes its title from Lambert’s own quote when asked in a previous interview what his view on a chance to join the rockers for their tour was.
“I think the thing that’s special about this is that it is a limited thing. It’s this special engagement. It’s not like, ‘Now we’re to the grind.’ It’s a once-in-a-lifetime tour.”
There were concerns, however, that Lambert wouldn’t measure up to the iconic Mercury.
Drummer Roger Taylor was quick to dismiss the fans’ worries, though, saying that they could never replace the beloved band leader, who died of AIDS complications in 1991.
“That would be the wrong message. Adam Lambert is an independent artist. It fits us perfectly because he is so theatrical, a true diva. Freedie would love him.”
He added that Mercury is always in their thoughts.
“Every day, at least once. It is, for Brian and me, part of our lives and infrastructure. We stood together so closely for so many years.”
Lambert, who rose to fame after joining the eighth season of “American Idol,” is a long-time fan of Queen. During his audition for the show, he sang “Bohemian Rhapsody” in front of judges Simon Cowell, Kara DioGuardi, Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul.
Watch it here:
He also performed the same signature song with the band in 2012.
“I’m completely in awe of the Queen phenomenon,” he said. “The thought of sharing the stage for a full set in Australia is so beautifully surreal. I’m honoured to be able to pay my respects to Freddie’s memory; he’s a personal hero of mine, and I am deeply grateful for the chance to sing such powerful music for fans of this legendary band. I know this tour will be a huge milestone for me, and with the support of Brian, Roger and the rest of the band, I feel like magic will be on display.”
The Queen and Lamber’s “Once in a Lifetime” tour schedule:
August 22, Perth Arena
August 26, Allphones Arena (Sydney)
August 29, Rod Laver Arena (Melbourne)
September 1, Brisbane Entertainment Centre
For the North American tour dates, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed