The Pirate Bay Co-Founder Peter Sunde’s Application to Reopen His Case Rejected by Supreme Court
By Tarun Mazumdar | May 23, 2014 11:35 AM EST
The Pirate Bay co-founder Peter Sunde's request to reopen the case has been turned down by the Swedish Supreme Court. Peter's legal team argued that according to the new EU ruling he cannot be held accountable for infringements done by The Pirate Bay users. According to TorrentFreak, the Supreme Court rejected the application as it did not see any new reason.
The Swedish Supreme Court announced a decision in 2012 not to grant leave to appeal in the criminal case against Peter Sunder and other founders of TPB.
The jail sentences and fines against Peter Sunder, Gottfrid Svartholm, Fredrik Neij and Carl Lundström would continue to stand.
TorrentFreak noted that both Carl and Gottfrid have completed their sentence, however Peter decided to continue to fight against the ruling.
Peter tried at the European Court of Human Rights, however the case was rejected and he had to try again at the Supreme Court. Peter's childhood friend took up the case and his law professors helped him. While Peter's case was rejected by the Supreme Court of Sweden, the legal team thought that the according to the new EU regulations, the case would be reopened.
The Supreme Court declared that it will not reopen the case. Due to lack of new information, the court believed that there was no point going back to the case, reported by Swedish Radio.
TorrentFreak talked to Peter Sunde about the Supreme Court's decision.
"It doesn't affect me that much, it's just more evidence that Sweden has no intention to follow the law or EU-regulations at all," said Peter to TorrentFreak.
Peter will continue to work on his different start-up projects. Heml.is, one of the projects, will be a messenger app that will bypass NSA and he raised $150,000 for this project via crowd funding.
The Pirate Bay co-founder is also contesting for the European Parliament. He wants to bring about change in the copyrights law in Europe.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display