Viral Video: Charlie Day's Merrimack College Commencement Address [Watch YouTube Clip]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 23, 2014 11:26 AM EST
Actor, producer and screenwriter Charlie Day imparted wisdom, life lessons, and knowledge not just to the graduates of Merrimack College but to the netizens as well. His commencement address to the Class 2014 of his alma mater on Sunday which was uploaded on YouTube has gone viral and has already amassed over 980,000 views in just a matter of two days.
Popularly known as Charlie Kelly on the movie "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," the actor delivered a hilarious, humorous, but insightful keynote address at Merrimack's 64th undergraduate commencement ceremony.
The actor mentioned in his speech that alumni have gone to be CEOs, politicians, professional athletes but this year graduates will get to listen from a man who pretended to eat cat food. He assured the graduates that he had experienced what they have been through just like sitting on uncomfortable chairs dressed on "some sort of medieval pastry chef" and desperately hope that he will hang over with where he will be off.
He also recalled with humor his own graduation experience which happened in 1998 describing in details the emotions of his mom and his dormitory life. He also praised the long way the Merrimack has gone since his time less than 20 years ago lauding on the better quality and improved campus. He even mentioned that it is one of the top 10 colleges of the east.
The screenwriter also made hilarious comments on his honorary doctor and mentioned that Dr. Charlie Days sounds like some sort of club DJ but he intended to live by the title from then on by immediately writing his own prescriptions.
The actor also mentioned that the degrees that the graduates toiled to earth to receive will basically do nothing. He jokingly clarified his point by saying: "You cannot exchange your degree for cash, you cannot have your degree do an audition or interview for you. You cannot eat it. Please, do not make love to it. I think you could probably smoke it, but I wouldn't advise it." He further stated that graduates should be very proud of the impressive chapter in their lives.
The actor also recalled the opportunities he had after his graduation and how he had failed many times along the way but he was in the fight. He also stated that graduates need not to wait for their break but to make their break happen for themselves.
He concluded his speech with the words: "You cannot let a fear of failure, or a fear of comparison, or a fear of judgment stop you from doing what's going to make you great. You cannot succeed without this risk of failure, you cannot have a voice without the risk of criticism and you cannot love without the risk of loss. You must go out and take these risks. ... Do what's uncomfortable, and scary, and hard, but pays off in the long run. Be willing to fail. Let yourself fail. Fail in the way and the place where you would want to fail. Fail, pick yourself up and fail again. Because without this struggle, what is your success anyway?"
Watch Charlie Day's Merrimack College commmencement address from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage