Viral Video: Charlie Day's Merrimack College Commencement Address [Watch YouTube Clip]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | May 23, 2014 11:26 AM EST
Actor, producer and screenwriter Charlie Day imparted wisdom, life lessons, and knowledge not just to the graduates of Merrimack College but to the netizens as well. His commencement address to the Class 2014 of his alma mater on Sunday which was uploaded on YouTube has gone viral and has already amassed over 980,000 views in just a matter of two days.
Popularly known as Charlie Kelly on the movie "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," the actor delivered a hilarious, humorous, but insightful keynote address at Merrimack's 64th undergraduate commencement ceremony.
The actor mentioned in his speech that alumni have gone to be CEOs, politicians, professional athletes but this year graduates will get to listen from a man who pretended to eat cat food. He assured the graduates that he had experienced what they have been through just like sitting on uncomfortable chairs dressed on "some sort of medieval pastry chef" and desperately hope that he will hang over with where he will be off.
He also recalled with humor his own graduation experience which happened in 1998 describing in details the emotions of his mom and his dormitory life. He also praised the long way the Merrimack has gone since his time less than 20 years ago lauding on the better quality and improved campus. He even mentioned that it is one of the top 10 colleges of the east.
The screenwriter also made hilarious comments on his honorary doctor and mentioned that Dr. Charlie Days sounds like some sort of club DJ but he intended to live by the title from then on by immediately writing his own prescriptions.
The actor also mentioned that the degrees that the graduates toiled to earth to receive will basically do nothing. He jokingly clarified his point by saying: "You cannot exchange your degree for cash, you cannot have your degree do an audition or interview for you. You cannot eat it. Please, do not make love to it. I think you could probably smoke it, but I wouldn't advise it." He further stated that graduates should be very proud of the impressive chapter in their lives.
The actor also recalled the opportunities he had after his graduation and how he had failed many times along the way but he was in the fight. He also stated that graduates need not to wait for their break but to make their break happen for themselves.
He concluded his speech with the words: "You cannot let a fear of failure, or a fear of comparison, or a fear of judgment stop you from doing what's going to make you great. You cannot succeed without this risk of failure, you cannot have a voice without the risk of criticism and you cannot love without the risk of loss. You must go out and take these risks. ... Do what's uncomfortable, and scary, and hard, but pays off in the long run. Be willing to fail. Let yourself fail. Fail in the way and the place where you would want to fail. Fail, pick yourself up and fail again. Because without this struggle, what is your success anyway?"
Watch Charlie Day's Merrimack College commmencement address from YouTube.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12-Year Old's Racy Photos And Erotica Literature Discovered In iPad School Provided
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Boxing Education Institute to Open in China
- Prince William & Kate Middleton First Autum Engagement, Royal Couple Opening Oxford University’s China Centre
- New Zealand Teachers Union Rejects Government’s Education Plan
- Teen Arrested For Shooting Dinosaurs In A Story He Wrote
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers