‘Minecraft’ PS4, Xbox One and PS Vita Release Date Announced, More ‘Halo’ Mash-Up Pack Screens Teased
By Gel Galang | May 23, 2014 9:00 AM EST
After weeks of waiting for announcements, Mojang has made it official: "Minecraft" on Xbox One, PS4 and PS Vita will all be dropping to their respective consoles this August.
"Apologies for the delay, but putting Minecraft on new consoles is a serious business. People have been using phrases like 'logistically-speaking,' 'infinite terrain,' and 'platform parity' for months now," said the Mojang team over at the official Web site.
"We've decided that letting current players upgrade for a small fee is the best way to show our appreciation," Mojang added.
The developer has already broken down what to expect for each of the "Minecraft" versions. For the "Minecraft Xbox One Edition," not only will players get bigger worlds compared to "Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition" but they will also get all the features from the most recent update, the "Minecraft" TU16.
As announced previously, players can transfer saves from the "Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition" to the Xbox One, but this won't work the other way around due to the sheer size of the worlds.
Those expecting to play on the "Minecraft Xbox One Edition" should be warned that not all of the DLC skins and texture packs they already have on the "Minecraft Xbox 360" will be available to use on the upgrade. Mojang has promised to detail the reason, but the developer has mostly pinpointed it to "licensing deals."
'Minecraft' on the PS4, PS3 and PS Vita
As for Sony's side of "Minecraft," there are a few details between the PS3 and PS Vita. First is cross-buy is possible, so those who already have the "Minecraft PS3 Edition" can already get the PS Vita version for free. For those who are just about to buy and opt to go for the PS Vita first, cross-buy is still possible the other way around.
An interesting note here is saves are transferrable between the PS3 and PS Vita. This makes remote play for "Minecraft" PS3 and PS Vita very much a possibility.
For the "Minecraft PS4 Edition," the worlds will also be significantly bigger than the PS3 and PS Vita. Hence, PS3 and PS Vita saves are transferrable to the PS4 version, but not the other way around.
Similar to the "Minecraft Xbox One Edition," gamers should not expect all DLCs and texture packs to debut on the PS4 from the PS3 because of licensing deals.
All of the "Minecraft" Xbox One, PS4 and PS Vita editions will cost $19.99 once they are released in 3 months' time. Those playing with the "Minecraft Xbox 360" or "Minecraft PS3" editions and have bought them from the Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN, respectively, will only need to pay $4.99 to upgrade.
Cross platform play is also not allowed, be it for the Xbox One and Xbox 360, and the PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.
'Halo' Mash-up Pack for 'Minecraft' Teasers
Amid news of the new "Minecraft" editions, the "Halo" Mash-up Pack is not forgotten as new screenshots have been made available.
4J Studios has announced new screenshots, which can be found over at the Play XBLA. The mentioned features coming with the "Minecraft Halo Mash-up pack" for the "Minecraft Xbox 360" is as follows:
- Exclusive "Halo"-themed texture set
- "Halo"-themed menus and user interface
- New-look items inspired by "Halo"
- 40 character skins
- Music tracks from the series
- Pre-made world featuring "Halo" locations.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- Sony Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide For Xperia Z Devices As Of August 2014
- Sony Xperia M2 Aqua Buyer's Guide: Reasons Why Upgrade From Xperia V Or Xperia ZR
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- Nokia Lumia 530: Windows Phone Handset Now On Sale In The UK With £87 Price
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps