Coles to Open 31 Stores, Create 8,000 Jobs in Queensland
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 23, 2014 8:19 AM EST
Residents and consumers in Queensland are expected to benefit from the plan of supermarket giant Coles to open 31 stores across the state within four years. The move is expected to create 8,000 jobs.
The entry of Coles into the state would involve an investment of $480 million, said Queensland Premier Campbell Newman.
The new stores will be located in Kedron, Alderley, Keperra, Mt Gravatt, Redbanks Plains, Mango Hill, Springfield, Rochedale, Sippy Downs and Bremer. Coles had started to build the new groceries in Brookside, Taigum, Indooroopilly and Redcliffe.
The building of new outlets in Queensland is part of Coles's celebration of its centenary, said Coles General Manager for Queensland and Northern Territories Mark Scates.
"It's promising to see that a third of the new stores will be constructed in regional Queensland, not just securing long term jobs for the regions but also for local construction companies and local contractors," he said.
Twenty-one of the new stores would be in metro and suburban Brisbane and the remaining 10 in regional Queensland. Six are under construction and another 13 would be built and finished within the next two years. Five more Coles outlets would open by late 2017.
It is not just Coles that is expanding in Queensland, but also Bunnings which announced in February the opening of 20 stores in the state that would create also 8,000 new jobs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'