Coles to Open 31 Stores, Create 8,000 Jobs in Queensland
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 23, 2014 8:19 AM EST
Residents and consumers in Queensland are expected to benefit from the plan of supermarket giant Coles to open 31 stores across the state within four years. The move is expected to create 8,000 jobs.
The entry of Coles into the state would involve an investment of $480 million, said Queensland Premier Campbell Newman.
The new stores will be located in Kedron, Alderley, Keperra, Mt Gravatt, Redbanks Plains, Mango Hill, Springfield, Rochedale, Sippy Downs and Bremer. Coles had started to build the new groceries in Brookside, Taigum, Indooroopilly and Redcliffe.
The building of new outlets in Queensland is part of Coles's celebration of its centenary, said Coles General Manager for Queensland and Northern Territories Mark Scates.
"It's promising to see that a third of the new stores will be constructed in regional Queensland, not just securing long term jobs for the regions but also for local construction companies and local contractors," he said.
Twenty-one of the new stores would be in metro and suburban Brisbane and the remaining 10 in regional Queensland. Six are under construction and another 13 would be built and finished within the next two years. Five more Coles outlets would open by late 2017.
It is not just Coles that is expanding in Queensland, but also Bunnings which announced in February the opening of 20 stores in the state that would create also 8,000 new jobs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million