Coles to Open 31 Stores, Create 8,000 Jobs in Queensland
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 23, 2014 8:19 AM EST
Residents and consumers in Queensland are expected to benefit from the plan of supermarket giant Coles to open 31 stores across the state within four years. The move is expected to create 8,000 jobs.
The entry of Coles into the state would involve an investment of $480 million, said Queensland Premier Campbell Newman.
The new stores will be located in Kedron, Alderley, Keperra, Mt Gravatt, Redbanks Plains, Mango Hill, Springfield, Rochedale, Sippy Downs and Bremer. Coles had started to build the new groceries in Brookside, Taigum, Indooroopilly and Redcliffe.
The building of new outlets in Queensland is part of Coles's celebration of its centenary, said Coles General Manager for Queensland and Northern Territories Mark Scates.
"It's promising to see that a third of the new stores will be constructed in regional Queensland, not just securing long term jobs for the regions but also for local construction companies and local contractors," he said.
Twenty-one of the new stores would be in metro and suburban Brisbane and the remaining 10 in regional Queensland. Six are under construction and another 13 would be built and finished within the next two years. Five more Coles outlets would open by late 2017.
It is not just Coles that is expanding in Queensland, but also Bunnings which announced in February the opening of 20 stores in the state that would create also 8,000 new jobs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Apple Inc Shifting to 'Lifestyle Brand' Under Tim Cook; Samsung Losing Smartphone Numbers War
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools