‘I Wanna Marry Harry’ Review: ‘Shameless’ & ‘Irrelevant’
By Riza Ornos | May 23, 2014 8:07 AM EST
Taken from the original “Joe Millionaire” concept, Fox’s new reality dating show “I Wanna Marry Harry” recently premiered its 12 American girls who are in search for their own Prince Charming. Hoping to capture the heart of a real prince, Prince Harry of Wales, the 12 squealing girls were fooled by a fake prince played by Matthew Hicks and critics described it as “shameless” and “irrelevant.”
Premiered on Tuesday night, May 20, “I Wanna Marry Harry” set the royal family fever on high as they feature the contestants in a genuine England castle to meet the fake royal who amazingly looks like Prince Harry. Matt who plays the fraudulent prince is a 23-year-old commoner who rides a barrowed bike to work because he can’t afford to buy a car.
From working with his hands in clearing up oil spills, Matt will assume the role of a prince and a bevy of bachelorettes until he can find the one whom he can reveal his own identity and accepts him. “I’m here to find a genuine connection with a girl… maybe even find the one,” says Hicks to the girls during the show’s premiere.
According to Daily Mail, “modern day pauper/serf was given a butler and a ‘crash course’ in how to look and sound like 'His Royal Highness Prince Henry Charles Albert David of Wales' - fourth in line to the throne no less.”
But not only that, the ginger-haired prince look-alike had a team of handlers and some fake photographers to make him authentic and show the girls his thundering importance.But it seems that not everyone are laughing about the new series, according to TIME writer James Poniewozik the new show is “shameless,” while the Daily Beast website said it was “irrelevant.
“What “Harry” doesn’t have that the original Joe Millionaire did, at least so far, is any real sense of shame,” Poniewozik wrote. ““Harry,” judging by its first episode, has no such pangs. It’s a product made for an audience inured by a decade of reality shows to duplicitous gimmicks and contrived catfights.”
“While Harry sets out to reveal what happens when Prince Charming isn’t actually a prince, its listless premiere only proves the evolving reality landscape has rendered this kind of show irrelevant,” according to Daily Beast.
“I Wanna Marry Harry” airs every Tuesday 9/8c.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS