Football News: Humility is Key to Atletico Success, Says Manager
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 22, 2014 11:16 PM EST
Atletico Madrid have turned heads this season as they recently clinched the La Liga title, while still on the verge of winning Europe's most prestigious trophy - the Champions League crown.
“We still have the same humility, the same group ethic.” - Diego Simeone
In spite of all the hype, Rojiblancos manager Diego Simeone knows that his squad is only reaping what they have sown years ago, with "humility" in the centre of their endeavors.
"It's the fruit of the labour that we've been doing for nearly three years," the Argentine told UEFA.com.
"We responded well in the Europa League a year and a half ago, if I remember rightly."
"We still have the same humility, the same group ethic."
"From the strikers right through to the goalkeeper, the team is aware of how we need to play in order to succeed, in order to highlight our strengths and hide our weaknesses - because we do have weaknesses, we just hope not to show them."
Atleti will be facing La Liga and neighboring rivals Real Madrid on Saturday in the Champions League finals, and the 44-year-old boss knows that it's going to be an epic night of football.
"It's great, both in terms of the matches themselves and the fact that in one city you have such a powerful team as Real Madrid and a battling team such as Atlético Madrid," he added.
"The idiosyncrasies of the clubs couldn't be more different, possibly from a social perspective as well. Each team uses the tools it has at its disposal and it's a great rivalry, no matter which team you support."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage