Samsung on a 'Price-Cutting Spree;' Prices Slashed For Galaxy S4 Models
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 22, 2014 5:28 PM EST
Samsung has previously announced a price cut for its Galaxy S4 smartphone models.
Reports cited the South Korean company is offering a 40 percent discount on Galaxy S4 Active smartphone. The handset is touted as the sturdier version of the flagship Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy S4 Active will now be sold at 528,000 won, which roughly translates to $514.90. This is a startling price drop as the device was originally sold at 899,800 won in Korea.
The Active model of Galaxy S4 is priced at $484.99 without a contract under AT&T. Apparently, the mobile network carriers are in talks with Samsung starting April pertaining to the price cut for various devices.
In addition to Galaxy S4 Active, six other Samsung models will be on discount in the near future. Galaxy S4 is sold at roughly 1 million won outright in Korea, which is 10 percent higher than the price of Galaxy S5.
The price cut also applies to Indian customers where the company has officially slashed prices for both Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S4 Mini. Galaxy S4 was launched with a price tag of Rs.41,500 (roughly translates to $708) in the previous year. It is now available for Rs.31,814 ($543). On the other hand, Galaxy S4 Mini is currently being sold at Rs.19,278 ($329), which is a reduction from the original price of Rs.27,990 ($478).
According to Phone Arena, Samsung Galaxy S5 when launched in India was priced at Rs.51,990 (roughly $860) without a contract. By the end of April, the price was reduced to Rs.46,450 ($767). The reduction in price within few weeks of its release was due to the launch of HTC One (M8), which was priced relatively lower than Galaxy S5.
Galaxy S5 has shipped a whopping 10 million units across the globe, within 25 days of its release. This sales figure of Galaxy S5 has trounced Galaxy S4 sales from 2013 by two days.
In retrospect, Samsung Galaxy S4 handled 10 million shipped units in 27 days, whereas Galaxy S3 reached the same figure in 50 days of its arrival.
Galaxy S2 shipped 10 million units in 5 months and Galaxy S did the same in 10 months of its release. Even with this feat, the company is still short of Apple's sales figures. Apple posted a "first weekend" sales figure of 9 million units for iPhone 5S and 5C.
Samsung did not comment on the impending official price cuts. But eventually Galaxy S4 series of phones could offer a substantial price cut on many of its models worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build