Neil Patrick Harris Lets Readers ‘Choose Your Own Autobiography’ For His Own Memoir
By Anne Lu | May 22, 2014 4:55 PM EST
Out of countless other celebrity memoirs, Neil Patrick Harris’ upcoming tome must be the most unique one. The “How I Met Your Mother” star makes readers the star of his own autobiography, titled “Choose Your Own Autobiography.”
Actor Neil Patrick Harris arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of \"Charles James: Beyond Fashion\" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
Celebrity books tend to be linear and ordinary, no matter how explosive their revelations are. Harris has a different idea, though. Instead of the normal narrative type, his book lets his readers be the “star in “N.P.H.’s life story!”
“Tired of memoirs that only tell you what really happened?” the promotional site for his memoir reads.
“Sick of deeply personal accounts written in the first person? Seeking an exciting, interactive read that puts the ‘u’ back in ‘aUtobiography’? Then look no further than Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography!
“In this revolutionary, Joycean experiment in light celebrity narrative, actor/personality/carbon-based life-form Neil Patrick Harris lets you, the reader, live his life. You will be born in New Mexico. You will get your big break at an acting camp. You will get into a bizarre confrontation outside a nightclub with actor Scott Caan. Even better, at each critical juncture of your life you will choose how to proceed.
“You will decide whether to spend years struggling with your sexuality. You will decide what kind of caviar you want to eat on board Elton John’s yacht.”
Harris’ book is patterned after the highly popular “Choose Your Own Adventure” children’s gamebooks series that appeared from the ‘80s to the ‘90s. The books were written in the second person, and let the readers become the protagonist in the stories.
For every couple of pages or so, the protagonist of the story would face options on how to proceed with the story, each choice would lead to a corresponding outcome.
Based on the description of Harris’ upcoming autobiography, readers will likely be asked to do the same.
“Choose correctly and you’ll find fame, fortune, and true love. Choose incorrectly and you’ll find misery, heartbreak, and a guest stint on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. All this, plus magic tricks, cocktail recipes, embarrassing pictures from your time as a child actor, and even a closing song,” the description on Harris’ promo page continues.
“Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography” will go on sale in the U.S. on October 14.
— Neil Patrick Harris (@ActuallyNPH) May 20, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change