Neil Patrick Harris Lets Readers ‘Choose Your Own Autobiography’ For His Own Memoir
By Anne Lu | May 22, 2014 4:55 PM EST
Out of countless other celebrity memoirs, Neil Patrick Harris’ upcoming tome must be the most unique one. The “How I Met Your Mother” star makes readers the star of his own autobiography, titled “Choose Your Own Autobiography.”
Actor Neil Patrick Harris arrives at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of \"Charles James: Beyond Fashion\" in Upper Manhattan, New York May 5, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
Celebrity books tend to be linear and ordinary, no matter how explosive their revelations are. Harris has a different idea, though. Instead of the normal narrative type, his book lets his readers be the “star in “N.P.H.’s life story!”
“Tired of memoirs that only tell you what really happened?” the promotional site for his memoir reads.
“Sick of deeply personal accounts written in the first person? Seeking an exciting, interactive read that puts the ‘u’ back in ‘aUtobiography’? Then look no further than Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography!
“In this revolutionary, Joycean experiment in light celebrity narrative, actor/personality/carbon-based life-form Neil Patrick Harris lets you, the reader, live his life. You will be born in New Mexico. You will get your big break at an acting camp. You will get into a bizarre confrontation outside a nightclub with actor Scott Caan. Even better, at each critical juncture of your life you will choose how to proceed.
“You will decide whether to spend years struggling with your sexuality. You will decide what kind of caviar you want to eat on board Elton John’s yacht.”
Harris’ book is patterned after the highly popular “Choose Your Own Adventure” children’s gamebooks series that appeared from the ‘80s to the ‘90s. The books were written in the second person, and let the readers become the protagonist in the stories.
For every couple of pages or so, the protagonist of the story would face options on how to proceed with the story, each choice would lead to a corresponding outcome.
Based on the description of Harris’ upcoming autobiography, readers will likely be asked to do the same.
“Choose correctly and you’ll find fame, fortune, and true love. Choose incorrectly and you’ll find misery, heartbreak, and a guest stint on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew. All this, plus magic tricks, cocktail recipes, embarrassing pictures from your time as a child actor, and even a closing song,” the description on Harris’ promo page continues.
“Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography” will go on sale in the U.S. on October 14.
— Neil Patrick Harris (@ActuallyNPH) May 20, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report